ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟟

(Y/N)'s POV

"Here, take a look at this." Ray handed us a book. Norman took it. "Mechanical Engineering and History of Humans" Emma read. "Ummm, what do we need a book about engineering for?" I asked. Ray just shook his head. "Not the title or the content, but the date of publication." We opened the book and looked for the date of publication. 2015. "That's the most recently published book I could find back at the house. In other words, if you think about it in simple terms, up until 2015, the world was a place where it was even possible for something like this to be published." Ray explained.

"30 years ago..." What happened in the course of 30 years? Did some of the demons not die back in the Taisho era? Did they somehow evolve? And people probably couldn't fight them off since I'm guessing they stopped teaching the breathing techniques since they probably think the demons went extinct.

"I did mention the worst-case scenario before, but at most, only 30 years have passed. There actually is a possibility that a society of humans still exists out there. Still, we cant act rashly. We have to collect intel. Intel on the outside world, our enemies, a way to get out of here, and a way to survive beyond that. If we're doing this, we're going to succeed at any cost!" I smiled. It seems Ray is starting to think positively. I can sense that he still thinks it's suicide to bring everyone. I need to find a compromise a soon as possible. "Alright!" Emma and I shouted.

-----

"So our map was published in 2010," I said, spreading out a map on the table. We were at the library, trying to gather information about the outside world. "Now that I think of it, we don't even know a thing about where in the world we are right now!" Emma said. "Since we can see that the sun rises in the South, we must be located somewhere near the Northern Hemisphere. We also have four seasons, so it should be safe to assume that we're closer to the equator." Ray explained. "But in the end, that's all we can come with," Emma said dejectedly.

I looked at them with wide eyes, halting my process of finding other books. Well goddamn, it's already impressive that you noticed that and pointed a rough estimate of where we are. Now I feel like I don't deserve to be a part of the perfect scorers. But then again I was sort of bad with directions. When going on missions I had to rely on my crow to lead me there. I continued looking for books related to nature. I do have basic survival skills but I need to know what else can be found out there.

"Checking for cameras, checking what's beyond the fence, and getting our hands on those ropes. I think things have been moving quite smoothly for us so far. So what's next?" Ray asked. "Yeah. It seems weird that Mama hasn't taken any sort of action yet. She already knows that someone knows the truth and is planning to escape." I said nonchalantly while scanning through the books.

"Ray! Norman! Emma! (Y/N)!" We all looked to the source of the voice. "Mama..." Emma trailed off. We walked out of the library and went to where Mama was. Arriving there, I also saw Don and Gilda. We all lined up. I wonder why we were called. "What is it, Mama?" Don asked. "Could I ask you all to help me with some chores?" Mama asked. And that's how we were stuck cleaning a room. It's not like we could say no to Mama. That'd make us look suspicious and rude.

-----

"This is bad! Doesn't this mean that she's suspecting us?" Emma worriedly asked. "Don't worry Emma, she probably doesn't think it's us specifically. She must have narrowed it down to the oldest children. Damn, I shoulda kept my mouth shut. I jinxed it." I said trying to comfort Emma while mumbling the last part. I pulled my hair in frustration. Now we have little to no free time to plan the escape. "(Y/N)'s right Emma. Calm down. Think about it from the enemy's standpoint." Ray explained.