16

Dear Diary

It has come to my attention that my dear brother Hal has recently become a father to a beautiful young daughter named Therese. Although she takes after her Howard mother, Therese has inherited the Tudor eyes – bright blue and shining. In a show of great foresight and love for his daughter, Hal has decided that Therese shall be his heiress, regardless of whether she is followed by a brother. I am pleased to hear that Henry is also following suit with a new law that is set to come into effect this year, which will ensure that my own child – pray for a Duchess of England – will also have the same rights as a male heir. Of course, if I have a son, I shall be equally delighted to have a duke in the family.

In other news, my beloved Edward has recently taken up teaching, which I find to be a delightful pursuit. After all, it is our responsibility as rulers of England to be good role models for the modern couple.

I have also recently heard that Mary Boleyn, once the mistress of Francis Valois, is set to marry him in the coming spring. This follows the sad news of Queen Claude's passing during the birth of her son, Prince Charles. I seem to remember Mistress Boleyn being a part of Aunt Mary's household for a few months – how time flies!

On a happier note, I have some news about Anna and Charles! My dear friend, Lady Eleanor, wrote to me today to let me know that Anna is doing quite well and will soon be taking her first steps. And as for Charles – my own son – he has started to walk and talk quite a bit, although he has yet to recite any poetry to Edward and me. To be frank, if he did, I think he would scare half the staff! But then again, Charles is a Tudor, and we do not back down from challenges. 

Lastly, I have heard from Cate that William is to be joined by a sibling soon, although the birth with William was very difficult from what she told me. I think I shall visit my sister and her court again this spring, when I visit Anna again – this time with two children of my own.