Chapter 20

In the afternoon, she went straight to the back of Tashnia building and walked in his office, kinda dark but decided to wait there anyway then she saw the book, 'Ghosts of Streekville', she was curious and couldn't help but wanting to see what was in it because it was where she spent her childhood, Hawkes was not there yet anyway so she got defiant then took it out from the shelf and opened the first page, there were something that slipped off she picked it up, there was a pictures of him graduated in the most Ivy League schools in the world, "Oxford Law? good for him but why be a superintendent in an old apartment for an Oxford Law graduate?".

Perfida got to the next picture, it was him with a boy that was like five with red hair like him and blue eyes, freckly face with teething smile wearing a soccer uniform and a trophy then she looked at the next picture of him wearing a suit, the fourth picture shocked her, there was a group photo of policemen with him in it and Apollo.

She got to the next and next, it was getting weirder because there were clippings about her, Perdita and Apollo about the car crash and that there were written notes about her, where she lives, where Archie lives, where she goes to school, and the lists of her friends, Perfida dropped them, horrified that she found out that Hawkes was some sort of a stalker.

Perfida quickly took them again and she noticed there was a black sleeve peeking out a box on the lower part of the shelf, the design was familiar to her so she took it out and it got her thinking and she remembered that day when day when Perfida and her family went to the cemetary, he was the guy that walked away from her when she was going to ask about the mysterious flower, which meant he was the one that put them there.

Perfida ran out the door but she bumped into Hawkes as he came back "hey! why are you...?" he asked and he notice that Perfida looked panicky. "What's wrong?" he walked to her but she backed away.

"Don't go near me," she told him with her voice shaking.

"What are you talking about?", then he saw that the book was on the floor, he knew what she meant. "Let me explain."

"That you're a creep? stalking me all my life?" then it hit her, that he was the man that killed her father and her sister. "You were the man that chased us that night."

"Listen to me, I was..." he uttered but Perfida was shocked.

"It was you!"

"No.. I was..." he admitted but Perfida was too scared to hear his explanation. "It's not what it looks like," he walked to her.

Perfida still has his jacket in her hands so she threw it at him, covering his face. "Get away from me!" she screamed then ran out the door and out of the building, she was at the street booking her RodeCar while running. It arrived just the end of the street, Hawkes was getting closer to her yet she managed to get inside and drove off, he looked stressed and angry.

----------

Perfida arrived home and showed to Archie what she found out "I can't believe this," Archie was shaking his head as he looked at the pictures and the notes. "This is sick."

"Papoli, we have to call the police," Perfida urged, Archie didn't hear her because he was staring at the photo of when Apollo was an investigator and Hawkes was a cop. "Papoli?"

"Sorry, what?"

"I said we should call the police."

"Yeah, yeah," he stuttered. "But I think we should stay in hotel for now, he might know we're here, we should start packing. Berta!"

Perfida quickly took her clothes and shoved every in her weekender bag then Perdita came in the room not knowing what was going on "why are you packing?" she asked.