Chapter: 11

Chapter 11: Emotions, and Mammoth Mountain

"Hey Cleo."

I smiled as I greeted Kale at the door of the Strouds house. I opened the door further and let him inside the house. His eyes tripled in size as he walked in, which is normal for anyone who hasn't seen the house before. I grabbed his hand and walked him further into the house, through the kitchen, and into the family room where I knew Jacklen was. Jacklen knows all about Kale, she's just never met him, so I decided that she could meet him today. Jacklen was sitting on the couch with Chad on her lap watching Sponge Bob. She looked up as we walked in, and smiled a warm smile.

"Hello! You must be Kale."

Kale stepped forward and extended his arm for Jacklen to shake, and she did.

"It's nice to meet you, your house is so beautiful. After moving from Texas, I'm sure you wouldn't want to move anywhere else after this house."

Kale laughed, but I stood frozen in my spot. Jacklen's eyes flicked over to mine, understanding that I haven't told Kale about my parents yet, but luckily she just went with it, and replied

"Nope, no moving for us. Thank you, I really do love my home."

I nervously laughed, hoping to move away from the subject. I know I have to tell Kale about my parents, I just haven't found the right time. I may have sort of told Kale a small white lie by saying that I was adopted, and that Jacklen and Charles aren't my real parents, but they've raised me since I was young, so it didn't matter. I've dug myself a small hole that will probably turn into a ditch if I don't do anything about it. Chad looked up at Kale with curious eyes.

"Who are you?"

Kale smiled down sweetly and replied

"My name is Kale."

"Kale? You mean like the vegetable? That's a weird name, who would want a name like that, that-"

"Chad! Don't be so rude to our guest."

Jacklen's eyes scrunched down as she scolded him, yet I was trying to hold my laughter in.

"I'm sorry, Kale..." Chad giggled.

"It's okay, vegetables are good for you anyways."

Kale just laughed it off.

"Cleo sweetie, why don't you give Kale a tour of the house and introduce him to the boys."

I nodded my head and began to lead him away from the living room.

"Boys? You have other brothers?"

"Um...yeah...I have a few."

Yup, I'm about five feet into my hole already. I showed him most of the house, but we didn't see any of the brothers, so I took Kale up to where I think I would find most of them, which was the game room. They were always in there.

When we reached the game room, I reached for the handle, but before I turned it, I said to Kale

"Don't freak out or anything, okay?"

"Wait, why would I freak-"

Before letting him finish, I pushed the door open and there they all were. About eighteen eyeballs turned and stared us down, the other four were too busy playing some sort of shooting game, but they still made me feel even more than uncomfortable. Not one pair of eyes looked away from us, so I cleared my throat and said

"Um...hey guys, whatcha doing?"

"Who the hell is that?"

Wow, let's get straight to the point why don't we? Eli's eyes narrowed down on Kale, and he crossed his arms. His protectiveness alerted most of the other boys, so the next thing I know, they were all staring daggers at him.