Chapter 1

Waking up from once again another restless slumber was Stoick the Vest. Rubbing his tried eyes has he is sitting up. Standing up and getting out of his night clothes so he could start his day as chief of Berk. Walking down the hallway and stopping at a door. He is about to open it so he could wake up his sleeping son, but he stops to remind himself that his son is not in his room.

You see this poor soul had not only lost his beloved wife twenty-one years ago, but his son, Hiccup six years ago. The biggest difference between these two losses were that has painful for the chief of Berk was that he saw the unknown spices dragon taken his wife Valka all those years ago. When he lost his son that fateful day six years ago? No one knows or even knew what ever happened to the small teenage boy. See after Hiccup had won the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the village. The boy had run off towards the forest and was never seen or heard from again.

Walking outside of his lonely home Stoick looking towards his right to seeing a house that belongs to the Hoffersons. Hiccup was not the only one to have gone missing that day. One Astrid Hofferson had also disappeared that day. Just like his son had done the young and coming shieldmaiden had also went into the forest that day and was also never seen or heard from again. He knew that Astrid's parents were suffering right now because today also marked the six years since both teens had seemed to vanished from existence. The three parents would carry the pain of burying their children. It was not fair it should be Hiccup and Astrid to bury them not the other way around. The chief wondered what would Berk be like if Hiccup and Astrid were here right now.

Meanwhile inside the Hofferson house an heartbroken middle age woman walks into an empty room that once was Astrid's room. Everything in the room was the same as it was, when her daughter went missing. The woman walks towards the bed and falls on it and lets out soul breaking sobs into the pillow. Today was again the day that she had lost her baby girl. They say that, "Time heals all wounds." Mrs. Hofferson wonders who ever started that saying never felt the loss of a child. Because this pain never seems gets easier for herself or her husband. There were times when she felt like she was going insane from not knowing what happened to her daughter.

Has this depressed mother lays down all of her memories of her daughter came flowing though her mind like that of an waterfall. To when she first found out that she was pregnant and carrying her baby girl around in her womb. The ups and down of the pregnancy. The day that Astrid had been born and the pain that she had been though labor. The moment that she first held her daughter in her arms. She remembered Astrid first words and steps. Or the first time Astrid learned how to use her axe. And the last time she seen and talked to her daughter. And everything in between all of these memories.

Mr. Hofferson walks into the room to be greeted by his wife crying her pain away into a pillow that once belong to their daughter's. He heads towards her and once he is beside her, he gently picks her up with silent tears falling down his checks. Once she is in her husband's arm the broken mother turns and places her face in his chest to continues to weep all her pain. Both only wanted their daughter to walk into her room but they know that will not happen ever.

Mrs. Hofferson remembers the times she would try to teach Astrid how to cook, sewing, and other jobs a wife was expected to do. Astrid would always tell her that marrying was not a part of her plans and who she is. That she always would be a shieldmaiden and that she does not have time for things like love and taking care of kids. Is this her punishment for trying to get Astrid to agree with marriage? All she wanted was for Astrid to learn that there is more to life than fighting. That when you are on the top it gets lonely. She feared that one day Astrid would be an old and very lonely women and wasted her live only fighting the next battle. What would not the mother give to have one of the arguments about marriage with her baby girl?