(access[1.17]);

CW: an instance of daddy kink, mentions of daddy kink will continue throughout the book, just warning you here!

The next morning, when I impulsively checked my inbox on my phone, there was nothing important. I felt hollow.

Finals were well and truly over. And the semester, employment-wise, only had a couple of days left. I had to decide if I was going to accept Tony's offer or not. I was running out of time. So panic started to fill the hollowness.

I tried to relax.

Natasha had already left her apartment by the time I woke up, much later in the day than usual. I took my time getting ready. I swayed around to music while I put on a face mask. I spent too long in the shower. I tied my hair up and put on my favorite yellow sundress, which I usually reserved for dates and other day plans, and then I did nothing but drink water and eat a bagel, without once opening my laptop.

None of it helped. I still felt dizzy at the prospect of making a decision. And all morning I felt on the verge of tears, like any little thing could set them off, for a reason I couldn't pin down at all.

I decided to go look for Bruce around the labs. He had trouble relaxing too, and it was better to have company. But I jumped at a shock of panic when I opened my door and saw someone outside getting up from the floor.

When I'd been looking around every corner for Rumlow for the past week, it wasn't a nice surprise to open my door and see a huge man there.

"Bucky..." I said shakily, and tapped my toes inside my shoes to calm down from the shock. 1, 2, 3, 4.

As I recovered from the shock, the tears finally spilled over. With relief? With the realization that the reason I was about to cry all morning was now standing in front of me? There was some sort of release happening against my will. I tried to suck the tears back into my body. It didn't work. How humiliating.

"Fuck—I'm sorry Grace, I'm really sorry. What do I do? Should I go?" He reached his hand toward me, thought better of it, and jammed it into his pocket.

"I'm fine," I said, wiping my cheeks, clearing my throat. "I'm good. Why wouldn't I be?"

I got the tears under control. Except for the redness that was probably in my eyes, and my probably wet eyelashes, and possibly a flush, I thought maybe it didn't even look like I'd cried for a second at all. Maybe he hadn't noticed.

"You're crying," he said slowly.

Shit.

"No."

"I just watched you burst into tears."

"Okay, well, I'm not anymore. Can we move on?"

He sighed. "What's wrong? I startled you?"

"I thought you were Rumlow," I admitted.