(elasticity[4.14]);

"You okay?" was how Bucky answered the phone at 2:30 in the morning

"You okay?" was how Bucky answered the phone at 2:30 in the morning. It made me feel fluttery already. He sounded alert, though, like I hadn't woken him up.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "I was just calling to tell you I have a crush on you."

He laughed under his breath. "You're supposed to be sleeping on that."

"I'm unclear on your instructions. How long did you want me to sleep on it?"

It was easy to go back to talking to him the way I used to, now that I remembered so much, now that I'd figured things out. It felt natural now, like I had the elasticity of one of my robots, and I could snap back into shape.

"I meant go to sleep," he said. "Then continue to sleep all night, and then talk to me tomorrow only if—and this part's important—only if you still think you're in love with me."

"Okay, but I've slept already," I argued.

"I left your apartment less than an hour ago."

"Yeah, and I slept for half an hour, and then I woke up. I was wondering if you wanted an update."

"Yeah, okay, doll, let me down easy this time."

"Obviously I still love you."

"Obviously," he repeated.

"I wish you were here because my feet are cold and I want to put them on you."

"See, now how do I know if you really love me or if your feet are just cold? Could be a trap."

"No, the cold feet just mean I want to touch you. I'm feeling really clingy."

"You were nervous to touch me an hour ago."

"Well, now I wanna kiss you."

"I wanna kiss you too," he said, sounding sentimental, which made me feel sentimental.

"I wish I could see your internal organs," I said.

"My—What the hell?"

"I just wanna know what you look like in there. I wanna see your brain."

"Grace, actually, what the hell?"

"Romantically."

"You wanna crack my skull open romantically?"

"I never said that! Why did you immediately go to violence? I said I want to see it. I wish I could see through your skull. Just for a minute. Then I want you to go back to normal."

"How long have you been thinking this?" he asked.

"Just now."

"Any reason?"

"I love you."

"I could probably find a scan for you," he said. "I've had them done."

I giggled into my pillow at the offer. "Thanks."