29. TRAJECTORY

Bucky's POV

Bucky's POV

That belief that Steve had in me, that blind trust that I was good or well intentioned or redeemable—he wasn't the only one who had it anymore. Grace had it too. Steve's was based on an old bond, on history. I wasn't sure where the fuck Grace had picked it up. But that was how I knew that she'd still be my girl if I asked her. Or, at least, I was pretty sure.

Lately, Dr. Raynor seemed like she hated me more than usual, which was probably well earned.

"Are we ever going to talk about Grace again?" she asked at least once a session.

"Is that what the government's concerned about you fixing? Not the violent flashbacks I've been having all week?" I said this time.

"Okay, tell me about the flashbacks."

"Let's talk about Grace," I countered.

"Okay, let's talk about her," she said like it was a challenge. "Is she still talking to you this time? I can't keep track."

"Isn't that your job? Aren't you supposed to keep track of what I tell you?"

"Well, since you don't like it when I use the notebook, I can't write everything down."

"Just remember it. In your head."

"Don't tell me how to do my job, James."

"Grace keeps flirting with me."

"You're saying that like it's a bad thing because...?"

"I hate it."

"Have you told her that?"

"No, I just encourage her. I start it half the time."

"Why?"

"You tell me."

Heavy sigh. "What makes you hate it?"

"It's hard. Knowing I can't have her."

"Have her how? What does that mean?"

"I can't ask her to be my girl."

"But you want to."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"What do you mean 'why?'"

"It's a simple question. Why do you want to be with her?"

"Anybody would."

"No, they wouldn't. I'm sure some people don't even like her—I'm sure she's lovely, James. But it'd be a little exhausting for her if everyone felt the way you do about her," she said dryly, anticipating my argument when I opened my mouth. "So tell me what it is that you're feeling that makes you, specifically, want to be with her."

"I...have feelings. For her."

"Feelings," she repeated.

"Feelings," I confirmed.