Not what I expected at a ball

You ran upstairs as soon as you got home and screamed into your pillow.

"I cant believe this, there's no way were going to that ball tonight with that insufferable prick!" Lizzy said storming into your room.

"Liz, its not like I want to go either but we don't have a choice, fathers made up his mind and we both know what he says goes." you say, "Plus it's my birthday, and this is most certainly not the way I wanted to spend it.

"Oh y/n" she says as she flops down beside you, "I'm so sorry I completely forgot, when we get home lets steal some tart from the kitchen and lay by the ocean all night."

"Oh I would love that" you say smiling.

You and her both giggle and look at the door as it bursts open revealing the maids.

"Come on girls" Giselle chirps, "we have to have you ready in less than half an hour so lets get a move on."

Lizzy leaves the room and Giselle gets to work changing your dress and fixing up your hair, etc.

Giselle slips a lovely white and gold dress, this time with no hoop skirt, over your head and fits your shoes on your feet.

You rush downstairs to see Lizzy wearing a ruby red dress waiting for you impatiently. She was always so beautiful in whatever she wore and it wasn't a surprise to you that over half the men in town wanted to be with her.

Your father rounded the corner saying how lovely you both looked and how quickly you needed to leave.

As you exited the front door and hurried to the carriage, you noticed Will out of the corner of your eye.

"Elizabeth", he whispered under his breath so your father wouldn't hear.

You glanced back at Lizzy and she mumbled "distract father for a second, please?"

"Okay" you smiled, "Father" you called.

"Yes precious" he said looking at you.

"Um uh before we leave I just wanted to ask you a quick question"

"Yes, go on"

"Well.." You went on about Lizzy's soon to be wedding to the commadore and what that would mean for everyone's future. You kept talking until Lizzy rushed up to you and Will was out of sight.

"Never mind father, it really doesn't matter anyways" you smiled.

He hopped into the carriage with you and Lizzy following.

"Thank you so much y/n" Lizzy whispered.

"Of course but what was that all about?"

"Nothing important, I um I'll tell you later."

You sighed and watched the scenery roll by out side of the carriage window. You drifted off into a light sleep, and you were awoken by Lizzy tapping your shoulder.

"We're hear" she smiled.

"mmm okay" you yawned.

You stepped out unto the gravel drive and looked up at the massive house in front of you.

"This will all be yours one day, Lizzy." Your father smiled.

"How exciting" Lizzy said sarcastically.

You giggled, it felt good outside, warm but there was a cool breeze surrounding you, it would have been perfect weather if it wasn't for the storm clouds coming closer and closer. But no matter you would be inside anyway.

Lizzy tucked her arm in yours and you stepped into the grand hall. The room was full of fancy people covered in pearls and gold.

You talked to a couple of familiar faces and a couple of strangers as you watched your sister's forced conversation with the commander. You gave each other a couple glances throughout the night until it was time for dinner.

"Come sit next to me y/n" Lizzy smiled, walking next to you.

"Of course, just give me a quick second, I need to get a breath of fresh air."

Lizzy nodded and you parted ways.

It had become very hot in the room all of a sudden, and you longed to feel the breeze on your face, if only for a quick second.

You pushed your way through the crowd and ended up outside, alone, in the garden.

The garden was gorgeous with big green hedges and walls surrounding all four sides.

You made your way to the very back where you could hear the bubbling of a fountain. It was hard to see because the only light was the moon above you, but you let your ears guide you.

When you finally made it to the fountain, you were able to feel the water misting your face, you smiled and sat on the edge staring at the sky.

You closed your eyes with your head still raised towards the moon. All of a sudden you were snapped out of your trance by a tapping on your shoulder.

You sat up quickly and were about to scream, when you realized you knew the figure standing in front of you.

"Lizzy?" you asked.

"y/n, I'm so sorry I didn't mean to scare you like that I just wanted to ask something of you."

"Yes Lizzy, of course, what is it?"

"Um okay listen, Will and I well um, were married."

"What!?"

"I'm sorry I didn't want you to find out this way, but we're rushed and I don't have a lot of time."

"Lizzy what are you talking about I don't understand."

"Just listen to her" Will said stepping behind her.

"Will I told you stay behind there." Lizzy said clearly frustrated.

"Will someone please tell me what's going on here" you said confused.

"Y/N, listen to me", Lizzy said, "Will and I have been married for a week but we need legal proof before father will even listen to us, so we're headed to London, to Will's uncle, who can give it to us for free. We'll only be gone three days, and I told father that you and I would be taking a little retreat together before I am to be married to the commander." She continued, "Y/N, would you like to come, I already told father you will be."

"Oh Lizzy I would love to, but I promised I would be here for Giselle when she has her baby." you say.

"Oh right, I understand, y/n, I guess just tell father you'll be staying because he thinks you're leaving with me tonight, and please keep this a secret."

"Of course Lizzy, I love the both of you" ,you say.

"Alright we must be off but I love you too" she says as she wraps you in a tight hug. "Oh and give Giselle my love." She adds.

She turns around to leave but quickly runs back to you and says, "and y/n happy birthday my love".

You give her a weak smile and watch her turn back around and out of sight.

"Thank you" says Will with a smile.

And with that they were off.

"What the hell just happened" you mumble to yourself.

You stand there for a few more minutes in the silence before you hear lots of noise from the house.

All you can hear is loud screams and gunshots coming from the inside of the house.

Just as you start to move towards the sound, someone grabs you by your waist and pulls you close while putting a hand around your mouth.

"'Ello love"