Chapter 2: For Every Good Reason

"Ty, this is so exciting! Don't you agree?!" Regan leans over the edge of the small metal boat and runs his hand over the water. Cree groans and keeps his eyes forward as he continues steering. If he tries hard enough, maybe ignoring it will make it go away.

Regan jumps and twirls around with a big smile on his face. "It's like we're pirates on the high seas!" He giggles happily. Cree growls and digs his nails into the steering wheel.

"Shut. Up," he grumbles and grits his teeth.

Regan grins and sidles up beside him, leaning down over his shoulder. "Is that an order, captain?" he says slyly. Cree sighs and narrows his eyes forward.

"Regan. What did I say about personal space?"

Regan stands up straight and glances back. "Yes, but there aren't twenty feet of this boat," he says and curiously looks back to Cree.

"Exactly," he deadpans.

Regan laughs and waves him off. "Oh silly, but then I would fall off! That way I wouldn't be able to serenade you with my presence and wonderful songs! Speaking of which, how about another sea shanty? I've got plenty more all set and ready for you to marvel over!" Regan beams and clears his throat.

Cree huffs and shakes his head. "I swear to fucking god if you don't shut up I'm throwing you overboard."

Regan chuckles nervously. "Ah, well, about that... please don't. I can't exactly... swim." He scratches the back of his head. Cree raises a brow.

"Good to know," he sighs, "Anyway, we're here. So stop talking and prepare to get off," he says and turns off the motor as the boat pulls up to the decaying wooden dock of Fair-Haven. Regan nods and grabs his bag with Romeow from the bench and motions for Thor to get up. The dog slowly stands with his head down and miserably prepares to follow.

Regan sighs at him and softly pets his head. "We'll find Edith, boy... I know we will." He smiles hopefully. Thor whines and licks his hand. Cree grabs the rope attached to the boat and jumps onto the dock, tying it to the metal post. Regan and Thor hop off the boat carefully and stand on the dock unsteadily. Regan chuckles.

"Woah! I've really got my sea legs! Ty, if I fall will you catch me?" He grins and starts falling dramatically towards Cree. He simply steps out of the way and begins walking up the rotting wooden steps that lead into the abandoned city.

Regan sighs and gets up to follow.

They walk through the desolate streets of Fair-Haven. Regan eyes every withering house and building mournfully and sighs. "It's hard to believe Edith was from here... I can't imagine what that must be like. Especially since she knows what it was like before... this," he says.

Cree shrugs. "Yeah well, we can worry about pitying her when we actually find her. For now, just stay focused. Can't have you fucking anything up," he grumbles and keeps his eyes forward.

Regan nods and looks back at Thor where he's slowly sauntering behind them. He sighs and turns forward again. "Tyrell... do you think it's wise to be bringing Thor with us? He seems... not well," he asks.

Cree nods. "Yes. He's our indicator of whether or not Edith's alive. We need him here to know if all of this is actually amounting to anything."

Regan looks down. "I know, but... he just isn't himself right now..." he says.

"None of us are. We're having to pull it together for this mission, so he should too. Now stay focused. We need to get to the DRF before sundown," he states and picks up his pace.

They make it to the DRF just as the sun starts setting. Cree pushes the doors open and looks back to see that Regan has vanished. He smiles gratefully, only to turn back to the abandoned facility. Regan has rushed ahead and is staring at the walls with sheer fascination. He's gushing over every little thing in sight.