Chapter 12: Breathe

Cree and Regan run towards the gates of Balmoral, but as they get closer, two soldiers stand in their path holding those spears ready to strike them down. Cree tries to stop running, but Regan tightens his hold on his hand and shows no signs of slowing down. Having no choice, Cree follows. Regan's eyes dart to a stack of crates beside the wall, and the high fence on the other side of them. In his mind, he envisions his plan.

As one of the soldiers thrusts his spear towards Cree, Regan swiftly pulls him out of the way, turns, and jumps up the crates. Cree copies his actions as he leaps from the crates to the top of the tall fence. Regan then eyes a low balcony of the nearest house and he jumps for it, holding on tight to Reela as they land.

Cree shortly follows, just in time for the next step in Regan's master plan, to jump from the balcony to the city wall. Cree goes first, easily landing atop the wall and turning back towards Regan and Reela. Regan holds Reela towards Cree. The child shuts her eyes tight as the fear starts getting to her. Clearing the distance from here to Cree is too much to do with her eyes open.

Cree reaches out for her and pulls her to him with his metal hand. He holds her tight in his left hand and reaches for Regan with his right. Regan takes a deep breath and jumps. Cree barely manages to catch him, but he grabs onto his hand and pulls him up. Having no time to stop and process anything, Cree pulls Regan to him, holding on tight to both him and Reela, and jumps from the wall to a stack of haybales beside the stables. Once they land, Regan helps Cree get up on Bishop with Reela before rushing over to Juliet and climbing up onto the horse's back.

Cree makes sure Reela is secure before he looks to Regan, whose face suddenly pales and he turns his attention back to the city. "Wait!" he shouts.

"What?!" Cree has to stop everything he's doing to not start going immediately, just wanting to get Reela and Regan as far away from here as possible. Regan frantically looks around.

"Romeow! He was still in the room!"

Cree sighs and shakes his head. "I'm sorry, Regan. But we need to go. We need to get Reela away from here," he says. As he says that, the city gates fly open and about five soldiers rush out on armored mounts, Sara at the head of them. Cree kicks his legs to the sides of his horse and he starts galloping away from the city, Reela holding on tight to him. Regan has to force himself to blink back his tears and stomach his guilt and worry as he follows close behind.

The soldiers pursue them, chasing them north. Not that it's a very long chase, as Cree recalls from the map that coming up ahead is that massive river that separates them from the northern half of the continent. The Ganil River.

Cree keeps his eyes dead ahead, fearful that the moment he turns around will be the moment he's caught off-guard. Regan rides in front of him with his head down, taking deep breaths and trying to stop himself from turning back for Romeow. He has to remind himself that Romeow had evaded capture from an entire prison of these soldiers. He can certainly make it out of the city no problem. But it still feels wrong to leave him without explanation or guidance.

Cree's attention divides for a second, worrying for Regan's state, but all train of thought is cut off as another soldier looses an arrow his way. Bishop lets out a loud whine and collapses forward, throwing Cree and Reela off the horse's back. Cree instantly pulls Reela to him and shields her from the blow from hitting the ground.

Regan gasps and pulls Juliet to halt as he sees the river mere feet ahead and he turns back to see Cree and Reela on the ground, and Bishop is laying behind them, thrashing in pain from an arrow sticking through his back leg. "Ty! Reela!" he cries.

Cree grunts as he gets up and glances back just in time to see the soldiers and Sara closing in on them. He immediately grabs Reela and gets up, sprinting towards Regan and Juliet. Regan slides off the horse, knowing there's nowhere else to run. They are now backed against the sheer cliff that leads straight down to the Ganil River. He takes Reela from Cree as he reaches him, holding onto her tight and watching the soldiers approach.