Chapter 5: Before You Break

Regan flattens himself as much as possible against the stone wall surrounding the prison. He carefully lifts Romeow and peeks the cat's head around the corner to observe the fort.

"Well, Romeow? See anything?" he whispers.

Romeow looks around with his eyes squinted, darting across the entire area. He sees the weaponry, training dummies and haybales, the stables that have two horses, a black one and a palomino, both saddled and are eating out of troughs. But most importantly, he sees the armed soldiers patrolling the walls.

"I can see plenty. Be more specific, twat."

Regan sighs. "Is it safe to walk in?" he keeps his voice down.

"Not unless you're looking to get shish kebabbed by those shiny spears." Romeow looks back at him with a deadpan expression.

Regan nods and bites his lip. "Any possible ways in without being seen?"

Romeow looks back at the fort and searches for any possible entrance points that aren't one of the main doors. He spots a rusted manhole cover towards the back, near the stables. "We could probably get in through the sewers, unless your poncy ass is too prestigious for that shit."

Regan grimaces and sighs. "I'll be fine, I can always bathe later..." he says begrudgingly. "Romeow, calculate all possible routes to get us from here to the sewer," he says.

Romeow concentrates on all in his sight, focusing primarily on the manhole cover. There is a small gap between the stone wall and the stable that Regan could easily squeeze through with how scrawny he is, but there would be a clear sight of him from the southeastern guard tower, and there's the risk of alerting the horses of their presence.

If Regan were to use the northern entrance of the fort, he could sneak behind the haybales and training dummies and make his way over to the side of the stables from there by waiting for the most opportune time, but if the soldiers suddenly decide to train, he could be hit.

This option is so far most ideal.

Not seeing many other ways aside from returning to New Cresthill where the sewer connects as that would take too long, Romeow turns back to Regan. "Go to the northern entrance and sneak behind the haybales and training targets and shit. I'll guide you from there because you clearly need help."

Regan smiles and nods, tucking the cat in his backpack and following his instructions. He's a little hesitant about hiding behind things that the soldiers could attack and possibly stab him, but if Romeow says it will work, he's confident he will be fine.

He reaches the north entrance without being seen and pokes his head around the corner to see the coast is for the most part clear. Nothing stands between him and the haybales so he goes for it before he can allow his fear to make him hesitate. He ducks behind the hay and targets and tries to make himself as small as possible.

Romeow, from his bag, lends him assistance. "Lower your head more, dumbass. They'd be able to see your stupid hat."

Regan does as instructed and lowers as much as he can until his head is beneath the line of sight of any soldiers. He has to resist talking back to the cat about how his hat is far from stupid and is actually rather charming and stylish.

He looks around the corner of the haybales but quickly ducks back into his safe spot as he gets a brief glimpse of a soldier coming his way. He holds his breath and hopes for the man to leave and not decide to start training at this moment. He hears the soldier draw his spear which makes him begin to sweat nervously. The soldier strikes the target above his head and he has to bite his tongue to resist letting out a yelp.