Chapter 13: Lark and Nightingale

When Regan and Cree rush back into the cave, they have no time to react before they see Sara standing with Reela held against her, holding her dagger to the child's throat. Reela is crying, trying to both push Sara away and remain still out of fear of the blade.

"Let her go!" Regan demands.

Cree reaches for one of his knives, but he remembers that he had dropped them to let Regan know of his mental state earlier. He can see they're still sitting beside the fire in the sand.

Sara tisks and shakes her head. "I'm afraid I can't do that. You see, I made a deal with Cree that he has decided to go back on. I, however, am a woman of my word. He forfeit my control, so I will take the girl as per our original agreement," she says with a smile.

"She's just a child! She doesn't deserve any of this!" Cree snaps.

"It doesn't matter that she is a child. The Dev'al Ordon demands she be delivered back to them. She did this to herself by messing with things she couldn't possibly understand. Isn't that right, Reela?" Sara looks down at the girl and brushes her hair back.

"Regan...!" Reela cries breathlessly.

Regan tries to remain calm for her sake. "Remember my promise."

Cree growls and raises his fist, preparing to throw a punch at Sara, but Regan holds his hand up to stop him without ever letting his eyes leave Sara. Hesitantly, Cree stands down.

Regan slowly reaches into his pocket and pulls out Sara's necklace, holding it up for her to clearly see. "You want your necklace so badly, right?" he asks. Sara glares at him and holds her hand out while keeping her dagger to Reela's neck.

"Give it to me," she orders.

Regan retracts his hand, lowering the necklace to his side and he shakes his head. "I will give it to you, but only if you let Reela go," he states.

"I'm afraid I can't do that," Sara says, placing her hand on Reela's shoulder which makes the child tense more. Regan's eyes never leave Sara as he brings the necklace back up.

"Then I'll break it."

For the first time since meeting her, Sara loses all sense of composure and her eyes widen in either fear or disbelief. Her face hardens. "You wouldn't..." she mutters.

Regan shrugs and prepares to throw it against the stone wall, making Sara jump. "No! Stop! You have no idea what you're messing with!" She almost lets Reela go as she reaches out towards Regan, but the moment the child tries to move away, she reclaims her hold on the girl.

Regan's stern glare never wavers. "I don't care. I won't break it and I'll give it to you once Reela is safe in Tyrell's arms."

"Dude," Cree deadpans.

Regan looks over at him to be met with an offended glare as he holds out his only remaining arm.

"Oh uh, sorry!" He laughs nervously and Cree just rolls his eyes.

Sara growls and looks down at Reela. She throws a few glances between the child, Regan, and Cree. Her eyes dart to the necklace in Regan's hand and a wave of mixed emotions flashes across her face.

To give her one last push, Regan holds it ready to throw again.

Sara growls and holds up her hands in surrender, releasing Reela from her hold. The girl instantly runs over to Cree and hides behind his back, tightly hugging his legs. Cree keeps his hand on her shoulder to both comfort and shield her.

Sara holds out her hand to Regan again, her eyes hold expectation. "Now hand it over," she demands.

Regan looks away from her and down at the necklace in his hand, making no movements towards following through with her demand.