Chapter 16: Daughter

Warning: This chapter contains themes of abuse/child abuse.

____________________________________________________

"Thank you again for everything, Nisha. I don't know how to even begin repaying you," Cree says with a smile to the Tus'Felnis woman. They stand at the small secluded dock on the northern coast of Arkala, ready to depart. Nisha told them it would be best to say their goodbyes at night, rather than during the day. She's been strangely paranoid all day, so they just decide to listen to her on this.

The city is strangely silent at night, and honestly even more beautiful. The magic is somewhat visible in the air, glimmering specks of light drift in the breeze like fireflies.

Wait, maybe those are just fireflies.

Nisha rolls her eyes. "Aw, come on. I thought sentiment wasn't really your thing. I'm just doing my job. No need to make a big deal out of it. Besides, the Recharn Rum was thanks enough." She brushes his comment off with a smirk.

"Well, regardless, it means a shit ton. But I don't see why we have to leave so soon. Can't we stick around with you a bit longer while it's safe?" Cree asks. Nisha sighs.

"Unfortunately, it's not safe with me anymore. See, my friends I was telling you about are here, which means you guys gotta go. I'm not worried they'll hurt you or anything. Well, maybe the centaur... But they are good people, but they are also helping out Athemar in finding the Fragments, and they were told to keep an eye out for you. I don't want to risk complicating our complicated not-so-plan. I'm gonna be running with them for a while, so hopefully I can help you guys by keeping them off your trail," she explains.

Cree nods and takes a deep breath of the night air, not ready to hit the road again already. He doesn't want to be reminded of the danger they are still in, but he doesn't have much of a choice. He needs to stay vigilant at all times after they part with Nisha. The Tus'Felnis glances back at the boat she set them up with to get them to Whiteridge without taking the faerie to avoid going through any of the other cities. Reela is asleep in the small cabin and Regan is sitting on a wooden bench, tuning his lute.

She smiles at Cree. "Take care of them. They may be wanted alive, but to the Dev'al Ordon they are hardly even people anymore. Just vessels of Tene-Medeis. But, I'm sure you've got them covered." She pats him on the shoulder.

Cree chuckles and looks back at the boat. "Yeah. I damn well hope so. And hey, good luck with your friends and this mission of yours," he says and climbs onto the boat. Nisha groans dramatically.

"Ugh, I'll need it for the party tonight. But, enough cocktails and I'll live. Regardless, I wish you luck as well. I sincerely hope you can find your friend. Until then, just be safe, boys," she says with a small wave that Regan happily returns.

With that brief goodbye, Cree pulls the anchor of the boat up and pushes away from the small dock. He watches as Nisha disappears into the night as they drift away from the island, setting sail for north.

Cree steers the boat as night carries on, hearing Reela's soft snoring from behind him and the gentle notes of Regan's lute as he plays outside the cabin, seemingly working on a new song as it's one he hasn't heard before. And he's heard a lot of them, for better or worse.

"Every night, our people are taken... One by one, they are lost to the fraud..." he hears him sing quietly, then he writes something in his notebook before continuing.

"Unity, the County of Secrets... Aims, to tear us apart..."

Cree just listens as the boat carries them over the Orinas Sea through the crisp night. He honestly never thought he would hear Regan's singing as anything but an annoyance. He still isn't a big fan of music and flowery words, aside from the music John would have play at the Watchman back in Mortal. A good song from the sixties and a beer were all he needed to keep him company.