Chapter 19: The Other Side

They wasted no time sticking around in the ruins of Eelry once they saw the fires burning in the distance to the east of them. They can't tell what's going on, but they recognize the location the smoke is rising from as New Cresthill, the village they first arrived in when they came to Aramora.

Jules leads them across the plains and through a small forest, utilizing the dark clouds from the storm that carries on with a light drizzle of rain to shroud them enough to sneak by some kind of armed patrols that linger in the area.

They don't know who these people are. They aren't Dev'al Ordon soldiers, that's for damn sure. As far as they can tell, these soldiers seem to have green skin and large underbite teeth, and from Regan's knowledge of fantasy, he can tell that these are the Orcs that Nisha was talking about.

Cree narrows his eyes as they duck behind a cluster of trees to wait for a small patrol to pass by. "Seems Varagores got tired of waiting for the Dev'al Ordon to be wiped out before invading Aramora," he mutters.

Regan sighs and examines the soldiers as they walk away, giving them the clear to move. "Why would they do this? It seems idiotic to forego caution from a plan as elaborate as theirs," he says as they start moving again and he reclaims Reela's hand to make sure she stays close.

Jules swiftly moves across the damp grass of the plains and towards the bridge that leads into the walls of Ecrin. "Orcs may be barbaric and not exactly the most intelligent race of the six lands, but they wouldn't act without being confident they will succeed. If there's one thing they know, it's how to win a war. If they're acting now, that must mean they believe the Order will be gone by the time they reach Ecrin," she explains in a hushed voice.

Regan eyes her curiously as he tries to mimic hers and Cree's careful movements. "You seem to know an awful lot regarding this sort of thing."

Jules nods with a sigh. "Living in Aramora for over a century would be hard enough with people to watch your back. But doing it alone would be a death sentence if you're not cunning enough to calculate all your enemies moves. I plan around what the Order does, what each city leader does, and certainly what Varagores and Narvadin do," she states and reaches the long stone bridge that leads across the gap of the sea that borders the mainland with the island that houses the capital of Aramora, Ecrin.

The group ignores stealth once they're on the bridge as there's really nothing to hide behind and they start sprinting towards the walls towering at the end of the road. After they've made it halfway across the bridge, Jules stops and looks around curiously.

Regan, Cree and Reela all stop as well and watch her quizzically. "What is it?" Cree asks.

Jules looks from the sky to Regan and Reela. "Can you feel it too?"

Regan and Reela both look around and Reela presses her hand to her chest and nods curiously. "It... Tickles," she says with a small giggle.

Regan clenches and unclenches his fist that's not holding Reela's hand. "What is this?" he questions and turns towards his sister.

"Summoning Magic. It's very strong in the air. If I were to guess, the Order is probably doing something to—" she's cut off as they all see a bright light flare out from behind the walls of Ecrin. The light grows and extends out through the sky, curving down and reaching the ground, surrounding the city in a massive glowing dome with slightly transparent walls.

Jules sighs. "Something to keep the Orcs out..." she mumbles.

Cree tilts his head at her. "Isn't that a good thing?" he asks and eyes the barrier.

Jules shakes her head. "It would be if they weren't only protecting themselves. I understand Summoning Magic is probably the most draining school of magic, but with enough energy, a barrier around all of Aramora would be able to ward off the Orcs," she says and takes a step back towards the glowing wall.