XIX

Deep Blue
______________________________________

Mayumi opened her eyes to see a ceiling unfamiliar to her. Her body ached in pain.

She looked around the large room filled with what looked to be expensive furniture.

She stood up with little difficulty and walked over to a full body mirror.

She looked over herself. Her hands and legs were wrapped in bandages and she could feel more around her stomach.

She was wearing different clothes that were slightly bigger on her. They were simple enough. A plain T-shirt and tights.

The door opened and Rei stepped in. She was startled seeing the girl her son brought awake. She was even more taken back at seeing her eyes. A beautiful shade of Blue.

"Oh, you are awake? That's good!" She closed the door behind her and walked over to the sofa.

She made herself comfortable before looking at the mystery girl before her with curious and slightly suspicious eyes.

Mayumi tilted her head at her confused look. "Well dear, what might your name be?"

"Mayumi Ishida, Miss?" Rei nodded. "I am Rei Kuchiki. Now, what were you doing in that park and why were there bruises on your skin?" Her voice held authority. Mayumi quickly realised she was in the house of the famed Kuchiki clan but decided to focus on the Kuchiki woman's question.

Mayumi's voice was barely above a whisper. "I… I ran away from home." Mayumi looked down, not finding the courage to meet the curious eyes of the woman sitting Infront of her.

"May I ask why?" Mayumi remained silent. Rei sighed. "Is the reason related to the many bruises on your body?" Mayumi just nodded. 

"Were you… were you physically abused?" Rei asked hesitantly. She knew how sensitive of a topic this may be. She, unfortunately, has first hand expression in dealing with this stuff.

"Not exactly." Sensing the girl might not want to continue this topic, Rei quickly changed the subject.

"I hope the clothes are comfortable. They were the only things that could fit you." Mayumi looked at the clothes then back towards Rei. "They were yours?" Rei nodded. "My old clothes, yes."

She stood up from the bed and walked towards the door. "Well, I'll let you freshen up. After you are done come downstairs. My family will be waiting." Sensing her discomfort Rei quickly continued. "Don't worry, they are nice and I'll make sure you don't feel overwhelmed."

Her motherly tone took Mayumi by surprise but she quickly nodded.
_____________________________________

Mayumi hesitantly and stiffly walked down a long flight of stairs. The house - if it could even be called a house - was beautiful. Heavily decorated but still felt welcoming to an outsider.

She looked around before Rei spotted her. She walked over to the young girl. "I hope you are freshened up." Mayumi nodded. "Thank you Mrs Kuchiki." Rei shook her head. "Think nothing of it and please call me Rei. And if you should be thanking anyone it should be the person who brought you here."

Mayumi tilted her head curiously. "Who was it that brought me here?" Rei started walking towards one of the many doors connected to Kuchiki Mansion's hall.

"Well, you'll see soon enough." She opened the door and stepped inside, Mayumi close behind her.

Immediately, she could hear sounds of arguing. She proceeded further in and found a family of four sitting around a dining table, eating dinner.