Chapter 8

And just like that, my plan to avoid him was flushed down the drain.

The class exploded into a furry of protests and complaints, and partners were already fighting over their project. Snape quieted the class with his booming voice, and I detected a hint of satisfaction in his tone. He enjoyed the chaos.

I won't be the one to break eye contact. His eyes were wide and his brows were arched in frustration. The feeling is mutual, Draco.

The bell rang and I'm still standing there with my bag slung over my shoulder and my hand braced on the desk, looking down at Draco, still sitting there like he had been all class. The class continued to chatter loudly as they exited the classroom following Snape. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Harry and Ron shooting nervous glances my way.

Draco kept his steady gaze on me as he stood up and grabbed his bag, and I had to adjust my line of sight because now he was standing and towering over me by at least eight centimeters.

A malicious grin spread across his face. "Looks like I can't get away from you, can I?"

I swallowed. "No, I guess you can't."

"What a shame. I was enjoying my time without you so much," he murmured.

I shut my eyes tightly. I don't know what to do. When I opened them again he had backed away a few steps and his grin had vanished, but his eyes were still on me, hard and unyielding. Good. Distance is good. I can focus better with distance.

I cleared my throat and stood straight, feigning confidence. "This sounds like it will be a very difficult project, so I think we should start working right away. Today."

His mouth quirked up at the corner. "I prefer to work alone."

I huffed in frustration. "Yes, I noticed. But we don't really have a choice. Professor Snape made it clear that this is a partner project."

His eyes left mine and narrowed at the floor, thinking. "We will do work individually and exchange our notes, then."

I scoffed. "That is completely insufficient. Nothing will get done."

"Like it or not, that's the way it's gonna be—"

"Like it or not, we are doing this project together, end of story. I won't have my grade suffer simply because your attitude ruins my project," I interrupted sharply.

A menacing growl emerged from his open mouth, and before he can say anything I added, "I will see you in the library tonight at six o'clock." And I turned on my heel and stormed out of the room.

___

"You're not actually gonna work with him, are you?" Ron questioned as I sat down for dinner.

"Malfoy?" His jaw clenched and he jerked his head slightly. "I don't have a choice, Ronald. He's my partner."

"Maybe you could ask Professor Snape to switch partners with someone?" Harry offered, his green eyes full of worry.

I shook my head. "No. I don't want to irritate him or anyone else, almost everyone has already started planning with their partner."

"Well you can't work with him! It's Malfoy, for Merlin's sake!" Ron hissed, leaning forward across the table.

I pursed my lips. "It's fine. It's just a project."

"And he's just a conceited arse," Ron retorted, rolling his eyes. I bit my tongue to hold back my protest. Why do I want to defend him?

My gaze drifted to the Slytherin table yet again, and I saw them. Pansy was laughing. Theo was gesturing wildly with his hands, telling a story, no doubt. Blaise was sitting still, but his stance was relaxed and his head was resting in his propped hands. Draco was nowhere to be seen, and I found myself longing to hear Theo's story.