Chapter 20

a/n: Be sure to check out the book playlist "the stars aligned" on spotify! each song goes with each chapter and it really enhances the story in my opinion! :)

June 5, 1996

I cracked the door open, tiptoeing through. Clamping my lips shut, I waved my hand, and Pansy creeped in, swaying on her feet as she carried a tray full of french toast, eggs, coffee, and green grapes. Blaise and Theo were already here standing over Draco, Blaise's hands clamped over Theo's mouth to keep him quiet. He was snoring softly with his mouth open. I pushed down my giggle when I saw his silk green pajamas. He so would.

Pansy set the tray down on the bedside table, giving a thumbs up to Blaise, who rolled his eyes and took his hands off of Theo's lips.

Theo did not hesitate to jump onto the bed beside Draco and scream, "Happy birthday ice queen!"

Draco's eyes shot open, slightly bloodshot, and he sat up groggily, shoving Theo's shoulder weakly.

Blaise and I walked over to the other side of the bed and plopped down while Pansy sat beside Theo. "It's the group albino's sixteenth birthday!" Pansy said in a singsong voice. She reached forward, ruffling Draco's hair affectionately, and he chuckled. I swallowed.

Blaise's voice rumbled, and I glanced over in surprise when I heard he could decently carry a tune. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear cotton swab-"

Theo howled, and Draco shook his head, rubbing his eyes with his palms. "Oh, jeez."

"Happy birthday to you!" Blaise finished with jazz hands, and I giggled.

"Thanks guys." His gaze flicked to mine, and I sent him an encouraging grin, one that he returned broadly. "Nothing like being woken up early with delightful names on my birthday."

Pansy puckered her lips, interlacing her fingers with his. "You know you love it."

The world sounded filtered, like I was swimming underwater, and the only thing I could see clearly was their interlocked fingers laying on the sheets.

"Gift time!" Theo's voice broke through the water, pulling me back to shore. He set a small green box on Draco's lap, looking slightly offset for some reason. "Open mine first!"

Draco pulled the lid off and pulled out a keychain, dangling it in the air. "A snowflake keychain?"

Theo looked quite proud of himself. "Yeah, cause you're the ice queen, get it?"

Draco laughed, a luminous sound. "Got it. Thanks, Theo."

"Here's mine," Pansy said, picking up the tray full of food and placing it on Draco's lap. "Breakfast in bed."

His eyes darted across the wonderful meal before looking at Pansy. Beaming. "Awesome, Pansy. Thank you."

She hummed, leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his lips, a light blush forming across her cheekbones. Draco grinned, looking a little flushed himself.

I screamed.

Well, no I didn't. Not out loud, at least.

Inside? I was collapsing.

It's his birthday. I shouldn't be... thinking about this right now.

I look again. He seems happy. Happy with her.

Yet there's something missing, a spark. Passion.

What I see burning in his eyes when he looks at me.