Chapter 29

October 28, 1996

"I can't believe we still don't have a costume idea for Halloween," I complained, collapsing dramatically across our table in Potions.

Draco chuckled, gently nudging me aside to see our cauldron better. "I don't know what will top our unplanned angel and demon duo costume last year."

I perked up suddenly, an idea flashing through my mind. "Pansy, Theo!" I called across the classroom. Draco raised his eyebrow in question, but I waved him off.

"What's up, princess?"

"That's exactly it," I explained. "Princess. Why don't we all dress as Disney princes and princesses?" I had been showing my Slytherin friends Disney movies on some nights when we had nothing else to do. So far, we had watched Snow White, Cinderella, and Beauty and the Beast.

Pansy gasped and clapped her hands together. "Brilliant, Granger! Absolutely brilliant!"

"Nothing new," Draco commented, smiling at me as he stirred our potion counterclockwise.

"Pans, you can be Snow White and I can be Prince Florian, it's perfect," Theo said, draping his arm across her shoulder.

Pansy nodded, wincing a little. "We do bear the closest resemblance to them, but Snow White is a bit useless and weak, don't you agree? Where's the female strength?"

"Which is precisely why it's a costume," Theo assured, resting his cheek against her head. He added, "And you'll also be pretending to be the fairest in the land." Pansy growled, slapping his chest.

"Granger, we will be Beauty and the Beast of course, is that right?" Draco asked, cocking his head at me, his hair catching in his lashes. I had seen him in this position hundreds of times, and I was always awestruck by his beauty. "Beautiful bookish girl and misunderstood beast? How fitting."

I giggled, reaching out and brushing his hair out of his eyes. "Of course. But you're no beast, Draco. Just come as Prince Adam. Besides, a beast costume would be utterly hideous."

"Ah, yes, the transformation. Fitting, he definitely turned into a softie thanks to you," Theo chimed in, shaking his head in disappointment.

"You're one to talk, Mr. 'My love for you is ridiculous'," Pansy retorted, sticking her tongue out.

"I was just giving you what you wanted, and I totally beat Draco's lame announcement in the Great Hall," Theo defended, puffing his chest out.

"It's funny how after all this time, you still can't tell whether I'm being sarcastic or not." 

"You're a little too good at it, Pans. Your sarcasm is so precise that at times it just sounds like you're in the midst of one of your mood swings, probably thanks to your cycle."

"You little—"

"Was I going to be included in this conversation?" Blaise sauntered over, smirking.

I cringed slightly. "I'm sorry, Blaise. We're talking about our couple costumes for Halloween." Blaise shrugged, forever the picture of indifference.

"Why don't you come as a regular prince?" Draco suggested to his friend, stepping back from the cauldron and wiping his hands on his robes. "You never know who will show up and become your princess."

Theo huffed, bulging his eyes at me and gesturing to Draco. "See that? Soft."

"He's right, though," Pansy agreed, nodding at Blaise. "That's a good costume. It can pass individually, and also sets you up for girls."