Chapter 9

It was not what I expected at all.

When Harry and Ron had come here undercover in second year, they had returned and described it in two words: evil and menacing.

I disagree.

The Slytherin common room was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling, from which round glass lamps were hanging on chains, emitting a comforting green glow. A fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantelpiece ahead of me, and several Slytherins were silhouetted around it in carved chairs.

The common room had lots of low backed black and dark green button-tufted, leather sofas, framed by dark wood cupboards. One of the wooden tables had a Wizard's Chess set on it made of black and white marble. The room was decorated with tapestries featuring the adventures of famous Medieval Slytherins: diving off of cliffs, soaring through the sky standing on brooms, exploration of hidden caves, and countless other depictions.

The overall architecture of the room was incredible, each of the walls intricately carved with elegant patterns, leaving literally no stone left untouched. The tall arching windows encompassing the room gave way to an expansive view of the Black Lake itself, and I saw a school of dozens of silver fish swim by.

Draco followed my line of sight and said over his shoulder, "We often see the giant squid swooshing by— and sometimes more interesting creatures."

Not evil and menacing, no. It was dark and breathtaking.

A beautiful underwater shipwreck.

My awe must have not been conveyed, because Draco saw my expression and let out a low laugh. "Too twisty and brooding for your taste?"

I met his gaze and shook my head slowly. "No. I like it."

His mouth twitched as he turned back around, and I thought he was going to smile.

I walked up behind the closest couch, which was facing another identical couch with a dark coffee table between the two. An arm was slung over the back of the furniture. A head turned to face me, and a handsome tan face was illuminated. "It's Granger!" Theo exclaimed, grinning broadly.

"Don't wet your pants with excitement, Theo." Pansy said from beside him, rolling her eyes dramatically. Her head was resting against his arm, but there was a good meter or so between them. That makes sense, considering she's with Draco. They're clearly good friends, though.

Theo turned to Pansy, smirking. "Like how you did in second year?" he teased, his grin widening with amusement.

Pansy's cheeks reddened. "You little—"

"Shut the hell up, old married couple," Blaise moaned, shaking his head. He was sitting in a velvet green armchair adjacent to both couches and facing the fireplace, the fire dancing across his ever so cool and composed face. Both Pansy's and Theo's mouths simultaneously snapped shut, eyes wide. "What brings you here?" Blaise asked, tilting his head slightly in curiosity.

"Oh, Merlin, I'm so sorry, am I not allowed in here?" I asked, wincing. The last thing I wanted was to get on the bad side of the Slytherins of all people.

Blaise shrugged. "Technically, yes you're allowed. But it hasn't really been done, like..."

"Ever."

Draco's deep voice travelled from where he had settled on the opposite couch, on the edge closest to the Blaise. His arm was thrown casually over the armrest, his hand dangling over the side. His posture was relaxed, comfortable. I shifted on my feet awkwardly, unsure whether to sit or not. Draco's eyes locked onto mine, and he looked down at the spot on the couch next to him and back up at me, his eyebrow lifted. Sit, he was saying. I nodded shortly and crossed in front of the fireplace, settling beside him. I made sure to keep a respectable distance between us. The cushions felt like clouds, and I bit back my sigh of comfort.