Chapter 12

November 15, 1995

I told Draco that we would meet an hour later today, at seven instead of six. I need to finish up some Arithmancy homework I'm behind on.

I was sitting on an armchair right by the fireplace in the common room. Gryffindor, not Slytherin. I'd been spending a lot more time there, but I feel the need to stay loyal to my roots and do my work here. Particularly because of the confused looks I have been getting from multiple Gryffindors, questioning my growing absence. So voila, this is my appearance.

I miss the velvet green cushions. Come on, we seriously need to step up our furniture game.

"Hermione, can we talk?"

I glanced up from my homework to see Ron looking down at me. His fiery red hair was sticking out in all directions, like Harry's always is, as if he's been yanking it. His face was contorted in reluctance.

I gulped, knowing I had been avoiding this for too long. "Okay."

Ron crouched down so we were at the same eye level, tugging at his bottom lip with his teeth. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I know I should trust you, and I do. I just don't want anything to happen to you."

I surpressed my whimper. I wanted to cry. I wanted to tell him how long I have been waiting for him to say this. And here it was, finally. We could be okay again. "I know," I said. "Just please show it from now on, that you trust me? Because I'm okay."

Relief washed over his features. He nodded furiously, his large hands shooting out and clasping my elbows. "I will, I will, I will."

I leaned forward and threw my arms around his neck, holding him close to me. He squeezed back harder, his hands tangling in my hair. I breathed him in, and he smelled of freshly cut grass and chocolate. I sighed. "Oh, Ronald, I missed you."

He pulled back and grasped my hands, smiling wide. His skin was cold, not warm. "I missed you too." I was riding on a wave, a wave of utter solace and comfort. Things were okay.

His eyes suddenly lit up. "Oh, which reminds me." He reached down into his bag and pulled out a roll of parchment and our Charms textbook, waving the materials in my face. "Can you write my Charms essay? I have quidditch practice."

The wave crashed.

I managed to force a smile. "Sure."

"Ron!" Harry's voice travelled from outside the common room, and I turned to see Harry's head peeking out from behind the portrait, his cheeks flushed. "Let's go! We're late!"

I turned back to Ron, and he was placing his homework on my lap. He hurried out the door and over his shoulder called out, "Thanks a million, Hermione!"

When the door swung shut, I let out an exasperated sigh, burying my face in my hands. They're my best friends, I know that. But are best friends supposed to only use you for their personal benefit? To do all of their dirty work?

That's the way it feels now. That's the way it's felt for a long, long time.

"You don't have to be embarrassed."

I lifted my face, and I saw Parvati sitting on the couch with a Witch Weekly magazine open on her lap, her black eyes wide with enthusiasm.

"About what?"

She winked. "That sexy little hug. It's okay, I already know that there is something going on there. I won't tell anyone."

Sexy? Oh, Merlin. I shook my head vigorously, a nervous laugh escaping my mouth. "Oh, no, that was nothing. We're just best friends."