Chapter 15

November 24, 1995

"Angelina Johnson scores ten points for Gryffindor!"

The crowd roared with enthusiasm, and I resisted the urge to cover my ears. I pulled my white sweater tighter around my arms, shivering against the winter cold. A light layer of snow softly cascaded on us, a warm up for the blizzard that would rage at night. Delicate snowflakes landed on the open pages of To Kill A Mockingbird.

"Look here! Looks like both Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter are in pursuit of the Snitch!"

My eyes snapped to the field, scanning. And then I saw Draco, his good arm outstretched just inches away from the Golden Snitch, with Harry close behind him. I found myself internally conflicted on who to cheer for.

Draco's finger closed around the golden ball, and he waved it in the air above his head, a small smile curling across his lips, his hair sticking up in all directions.

"Slytherin wins!" Lee Jordan screams, albeit with a slightly disappointed undertone.

I stood up and hollered, my book falling to the ground. Heads turned to me, confused as to why I was cheering for the other team, but I didn't care. The Slytherin side erupted in cheers, and I could see Pansy in the front row jumping up and down and screaming happily. The players descended to the ground, the snow crunching beneath their feet. I saw Ron tear his helmet off, disdain clear in his expression.

Now. Do it now.

I left my book on the floor and hurried down the stairs to the quidditch pitch. The loud music and cheering fans buzzed around me as I crossed the field to where all the players were. Ginny saw the direction I was heading and gave a discreet thumbs up, winking.

Theo and Blaise were patting Draco on the back supportively, all three of them looking incredibly handsome in their green quidditch uniforms. Theo noticed me approaching first, and his eyes lit up. "Ay, Granger! What are you doing here-"

I walked right past him and threw my arms around Draco, pulling him close.

His body was stiff against mine at first, but when I squeezed his waist tighter his arms came up around me, sighing into my ear as his fingers tangled with my curls.

I heard the music come to a halt, and the loud chattering went down to a dull murmur. I pulled away gripping Draco's arms and found that all eyes were on me. Confused. Angry. I looked back at Draco, and his expression was open, asking me. I pulled my wand out of my pocket and muttered the spell to magnify my voice. I raised the tip of my wand to hover below my lips. Never leaving his gaze, I announced, "I am friends with Draco Malfoy, as well as Pansy Parkinson, Theo Nott, and Blaise Zabini. If you have a problem with that, too bad."

Draco's eyes brightened, and he nodded once, a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Complete silence.

Then, a loud whoop from Blaise.

"The Golden Girl is my friend, everyone!" yelled Theo, pumping his fist into the air.

"And mine!" Pansy's voice from the stands.

The student sections exploded with shouts, some of approval some not, and the music resumed. Draco's eyes were shining, and he was fully grinning at me as he pulled my arm and enclosed me in another hug.

___

My declaration of my friendship with the Slytherins was all anyone was talking about, but I really didn't care, not anymore. No one knew who they really were, and I was fine knowing the truth.