Chapter 10

December 4, 1996

Hold on.

I am holding on. For him.

Only for him.

November 2, 1995

I didn't want to leave my dreams.

The world of technicolor and wonder faded, and Captain Pam's hazel eyes and long flowing black hair blurred and soon there was nothing but the sunlight bursting across my eyelids.

I went through the motions and took a hot shower. I let out multiple sighs as the water scorched my skin, close to burning me. But I loved it. I could never take cold showers, or even warm. It always had to be hot, as hot as I could tolerate without burning myself. It was as though the heat cleansed my skin of the dirt of my burdens. The heat felt so renewing. So nice.

But it doesn't burn.

Not like his skin.

Not like the burning sun I dreamt of.

Does he have a fever? Is he sick? He was so, so warm.

I left my hair damp and loose around my shoulders and stared at myself in the mirror. A natural blush sat on my cheekbones, and my eyes were wide and gleaming. I looked... healthy. I smiled to myself. Maybe it's because I didn't skip dinner, thanks to Draco.

Down at breakfast, Theo's head was down and his eyes were closed, and Blaise was yawning widely. Draco wasn't there yet. I sent a friendly wave to Pansy, who returned it with grace, before sitting down at my usual spot. Ron's face was bright red as he stared down at the table, like he was holding in a sneeze. From the way Harry was glaring at Ron, I knew that Harry had told Ron to back off and hold his tongue.

The atmosphere was tense, to put it lightly. I could cut through it with a knife.

"I'm sorry about last night," Ron blurted, not meeting my eyes. Harry blew a loose breath of exasperation out of his mouth. Ron didn't seem to notice and continued, "I was just worried. We both were."

I gave him a small, tight-lipped smile. "I can take care of myself, you know."

Ron nodded slowly, as if contemplating that fact. "Yeah. But we can never know with Malfoy. Don't forget that he's the enemy."

I shifted my gaze to Harry, who looked uncomfortable as he shifted in his seat, but he didn't argue Ron's point.

"Someone can be a bully and not the enemy," I argued defensively. I didn't let myself think long about why I was defending Draco. Things between us were... good? Is that the best way to describe it? Certainly not hostile anymore.

"He's a pureblood elitist," Ron hissed, eyes bulging out of his head. "You can't be serious right now. If he's being kind to you, he must have a reason. A motive. How many times has he called you Mudblood? How many times has he tormented us, him and his possey of arses?"

"Ron, that's enough," Harry chided, clenching his teeth and shaking his head at his friend.

I couldn't deny the truth in his words. Draco's track record wasn't good, and neither were his friends'. But last night...

Last night, I saw no trace of those bullies from third year. I saw kind and humorous people. I don't want to judge prematurely, but they seem to have really improved as human beings.

As for Draco...

Something had changed last night. We were friendly now. Nice.

And he cares about me. He said so.