Chapter 22

September 1, 1996

At Platform 9 ¾ , I hugged my mum and dad goodbye, hopping onto the train. Smiling, I turned to go to find Harry and Ron.

A flash of blonde.

I whirled, My breathing growing rapidly, and I called out to him. "Draco!"

Gone.
___

In the Great Hall, I waved to my friends at the Slytherin table across the room, expecting a wink from Pansy, or a grin from Theo, or a cocked head from Blaise.

They all looked down at the table.

Ron had a smug look as he ate, but he said nothing.

While Dumbledore was talking to all of us, my gaze wandered to Draco. He was staring off into nowhere, his hand propping up his head. Even from afar, I saw how extremely pale he was. Pale and thin. So, so thin, with purple and green circles under his eyes. And all the anger, all the resentment I had been carrying all summer is washed away. All I care about is him.

At the end of dinner, I stood up to approach him, but all of them were already gone.

There's not much else to say except that I cried that night, muffling my sobs with my pillow.
___

September 2, 1996

Our Potions class was smaller this year, with only students who qualified with high enough OWLs. Pansy, Theo, Blaise and Draco were all in there, but they were silent. They barely even talked to each other. At the beginning of class, Theo sent me a brief half-smile, but nothing else.

"Who can tell me what this potion is over here?" Professor Slughorn asked, gesturing to the bubbling cauldron.

I spoke immediately. "Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world."

Professor Slughorn nodded, looking impressed. "How did you recognize it?"

"The distinctive mother-of-pearl sheen and the steam rising in characteristic spirals," I answered. "It's supposed to smell differently to each person according to what attracts us."

"What do you smell, Miss Granger?" I took a deep breath.

Mint. Library books. Smoke. Coffee. Honey. Green grapes. So many scents, yet all one. Him.

When I look at him, I look for Draco. The soft eyes, the gentle boy.

I only see Malfoy, the cold statue I worked with in the beginning of fifth year. Cold and unyielding.

I lied, "Chocolate."

"Very good, very good."
___

At the end of class, my hair was absolutely out of control, frizzed to the point where it almost made a complete circle around my face. I grumbled, muttering to myself about humidity and frizz reduction spells as I packed my things. When I looked up, the classroom was empty save for Theo and I. He was on his knees, fingers fumbling as he gathered his spilled materials.

I slang my bag over my shoulder, taking a step towards him. "Theo."

He continued as if he didn't hear me, standing up and walking towards the door. I told myself to stay collected, but my voice came out shaky. "Theo."

Theo slowed, stopping in the doorway. When he looked back at me, I wanted to cry at the sight of his familiar warm eyes. But he shook his head, reaching back and rubbing his neck. "I'm sorry, princess." His expression was dejected, resigned. "It's for your own good."

And then he was gone, and I was alone again.