•One•

2018

I woke feeling the cold slab of a bed I had been given. I say given, but it was more like forced upon me. I woke slowly, but as I came into consciousness something just didn't seem to be right. I never felt good per-say, but something was causing my head to feel heavier than normal. The sounds of sirens rang much too loud to just be my drunken sleeping state fooling me. I wasn't just dreaming this was something real.

I pushed into an upright position and looked around to only see my normal cell, but covered in a blinking red light. Not a window, or even small hole had been left for me to peer out to see the cause of the growing commotion. I had searched every square inch of this cell at one point to find a way out, but to no avail I was left empty handed. Despite my call to find answers, I knew it was waste to look for one now.

I stood up up looking around worriedly, but I knew all I could see was in front of me. Four concrete walls covered in the damn near art work my blood spatters had made over the years. I had been beaten and tortured here for quite sometime. Frankly, I lost count after a few months, but I knew I had to have been ages ago by now. I had been in here for a few years now at least, possibly even more.

I walked forward and pressed my ear to my door hoping to hear something. For a moment it was just panicked shouting and the sirens blaring, but I started to hear explosions in the distance. It was less of sound and more of a vibration in my ear drums. Something wasn't right, in all my time here I had never heard something like this, nothing this insane. Maybe another prisoner would cry out or scream, but nothing to wake me from my slumber like I just had. The loudest things were often my own thoughts, unless of course I was being tortured. Then it would have been my screams.

Perhaps it was my pessimistic outlook, but my mind first wandered to an attack, or prisoner riot, or frankly anything else. I worried for my own safety, but I mean I was locked behind a concrete door. Even with all my might I couldn't do more than knock some dust off the wall much less break out and surely that would mean no one could get in. I listened as the sounds got closer and closer. I wanted to panic and worry, but I couldn't imagine anything worse than what's already been done to me.

I heard a voice, one that I hadn't heard before. I was sure I had never heard this voice, but something about it was so familiar. Something that nearly sent a chill down my spine as I heard it. It was hard to decipher but the American accent was clear enough to hear. At first it was muffled behind other noises and the blockade of the door, then the sentences became quite clear to me.

"Back away from the door!" I heard and I instinctively stepped back unsure of who I was even listening to.

I don't know why I just listened, but surely I needed to. If it was HYDRA they could surely just open the door themselves. However, someone was breaking in. It worried me who else would need to see me, but that almost worried me more. I was a weapon, a powerful one at that.

Surely this couldn't be anything good. I knew HYDRA was the bad guy, but who's to say whoever was breaking in wasn't worse. They clearly hadn't gotten in here peacefully because there was loud noises and fighting going on before they had even got to my door.

I didn't have time to find out before the door to my cell blasted open and it launched large rocks all around my cell. I crumbled back and hit the wall behind me from the sheer force of the explosion. I felt myself being pelted by large rocks. The heat wave of the explosion washed over me as I curled against the wall. I covered my face and waited until the scene had cleared before I looked up.

I was cringing into the wall as I was blinded by a bunch of flashlights pointed right at me. I used my hands to block the light but my ears were ringing and my vision felt doubled. I was coughing up dust as it swirled around me from the concrete

My eyes could hardly focus on anything. I however, felt someone grab my arm and I immediately fought back. My murderous instincts kicked in and I jumped to my feet and threw punches at the figure who I still couldn't make out. They were incredibly strong and hardly seemed bothered by my attacks. I however, swept their feet out from underneath them causing a loud thud to the ground. I stumbled back not liking how aggressive they were being.

I was about to relax until I saw that another person had entered the cell and I lunched myself at them. I grunted out in offense trying to kill them before they could come at me. Surely they wanted to kill me, why let them drag me else where and torture me? I would rather die than subject myself to another day of this.

"Valerie it's us!" A female with a raspy voice shouted.

"I don't know who you are!" I shouted not missing a singular beat in my attack.  

Even if I had known them it wouldn't have mattered. Everyone I had ever known was either dead or torturing me. I didn't want anyone to touch me. No one who I knew was someone I wanted to be around anyways. So their words meant nothing to me, they were the enemy.

"Valerie we want to take you home!" They argued and I just continued trying to fight against whoever was trying to grab at me.

"Val look at me." I heard and my fight back stopped as I looked to the strange voice who first spoke.

I took a second and let my eyes focus in. The red lights, the dust in the air, and my blind rage made it nearly impossible to see anything. I let my eyes train on the person that spoke and I saw a man looking right at me with sad eyes. He had on a red metal suit and had olive toned skin. His hair was dark and scuffed up as he looked to me with frantic expressions.

"You." I said flatly. I looked at this man deep into his eyes and I felt nothing towards him. "I have no idea who you are."

I immediately started fighting the man in front of me and I had hardly noticed his arm was made of metal until it was too late. I immediately regretted stoping to look because I was picked up and slammed into a wall. I felt his metal arm cold against my neck as my oxygen became restricted after it being knocked out of me. I tried to fight against, but his arm was impossibly strong. I could see blacks spots in my eyes and I knew what was to come if I didn't get out of this.

"Don't kill her Bucky." I heard the same male voice from before speak. I fought as hard as I could against him but whatever this arm was, wasn't letting go. Even with all my rage and power I was too weak to get out of this.

"I know what she is, I know what she's capable of." He said in a loud growling voice and it only felt as if he grasp on my neck got firmer.

"She's exactly what you were Bucky, let her go." He demanded firmly.

"Exactly, she needs to be detained." He said shaking as he tried to crush my trachea.

"Yes she does, detained Bucky. That means alive." I heard him say raising his voice over the sirens and alarms.

I looked the man in the eyes and his eyes shifted in fear for a moment before I hit the ground. I would have gone at him again to try and win, but I was already crumbling out of consciousness. I felt the cold concrete floor against my raw skin. Cold air circulated back into my lungs, but it felt so cold it nearly stung from the shock. I coughed a few times feeling my weak throat tremble.

Before I could speak everything just went black.