•Thirteen•

I felt exhausted as Steve and I made the trek back to the Avengers Tower. We walked in silence and I was wrapped in a small blanket as we walked from the lobby because I was freezing cold. Steve had taken me to Stark Industry's tower and we did the same thing I went through yesterday.

Today went much the same. I remembered hearing the 6th word, but I literally blacked out the second I heard it. I felt okay about it, but all the energy I had was gone. Steve nearly had to help me in and out of the car because of how wobbly I was. I stood with him in the elevator and I looked at the time and I instantly huffed out in frustration.

"What?" Steve asked me looking.

"Bucky is probably in the apartment." I huffed.

"Oh I'm sure he was thrilled about hearing you do that again." He said sighing.

"I didn't tell him. By the time I woke up he was gone." I said shrugging.

"That should be fun." He said exhaling. "He's very much worried for you, it's like when he sees you in pain, he's in pain."

"I think it's best if he doesn't go anymore. If it really hurts him to watch he shouldn't be there. It'll just make it harder for both of us." I said letting out a huff.

"That's the problem, he cares to much to not be there." He said and the elevator dinged.

"I don't know what I'm going to do." I said stepping out.

"I don't know he's not talking to me much either, he gets quiet when he goes through things." He said following me to my door.

"That makes things so much easier." I said sarcastically going for my door, but realizing he was standing a few steps away. "Aren't you coming in?"

"And play third wheel to that argument? No thanks." He said laughing and I just rolled my eyes. "Have a good night Valerie."

"Goodnight Steve." I said wishing he would have at least help soften the blow, but I guess I'd be going at it alone.

I unlocked my door and I opened it to see that most lights had been turned off. I pushed the door open and I could see a singular kitchen light had been left on, but other than that the room was a dark orange color. I walked in to see Bucky sitting at the kitchen counter with his head in hands.

"Hey." I said in a small voice.

"There's fresh clothes in your room." Was all he said still with his back towards me. "Where were you?"

"With Tony." I said in a small voice.

"Doing what?" He asked and I closed the door behind me.

Silence filled the room and I just walked up beside him. I didn't know how to answer and frankly I was so nervous I had no idea how to even speak. I placed my hands on the counter and he turned to me and I could see his tired eyes knowing he hadn't slept.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He asked exhaling and leaning away from his cup of coffee that looked fresh.

"You weren't there when I got up." I said in a small voice.

"You didn't call for me? You didn't have someone come get me or at least tell me?" He said turning towards me.

"It would've just upset you." I said softly in almost a whisper.

"So you keep it from me?" He asked and I just stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him.

I knew he was upset, but I missed him. He had been so cold since the night before last. Maybe I didn't deserve it, but after the long trials of today I missed him more than I'd be able to explain out loud.