•Twenty Six•

5 Years Later...

"Anything new on your end Danvers?" Nat asked Carol.

"There's a lot of other planets out there who need my help. I'm keeping myself busy." She said and smiled softly.

"Alright well wherever you all are if things turn sideways you call me." Nat said adamantly. Everyone nodded and clicked off. I myself was about to leave the meeting too, but noticed Rhodes was still in the call. Nat looked to me confused through the screen, but then looked to Rhodes.

"Rhodes?" She asked a little shyly. "Where are you?"

"Mexico." He said softly. "The Feds found a room full of a bunch of bodies, looks like a bunch of cartel guys."

"Probably a rival gang." She said lowering her head.

"Except it isn't. It's definitely Barton." He said and I could see she was bothered. "What he's done here, what he's been doing here for years... the scene that he's left. I gotta tell you there's a part of me that doesn't even want to find him."

"Will you find out where he's going next?" She asked taking a bit of a sandwich and I saw her eyes gloss over.

"Nat." He said sounding conflicted.

"Please." She said looking very tearful.

He looked at her for a long moment before turning away. His call eventually cut out leaving just her and I in a very awkward position. I had no idea what to say or do to comfort her.

"Nat, he's alive." I said finally. "I know it's not the life you want him to live, but he's alive. He'll come around."

"He had a family, he had settled down and quit that life." She said shaking her head. "He's just gone back to his old ways."

"Keep your head up Nat." I said softly.

"What about Stark?" She asked clearly trying to change the subject.

"He's alright, Morgan keeps his hands full." I said with a soft smile.

"You and Bucky?" She asked.

"Same as always." I said with a smile. "And how are you?"

"Floating." She said shrugging. "I'll see you next month. Keep me in the loop if you need me."

"Always will." I said and I shut off the call.

I sat back in my computer chair and exhaled. I rubbed my face from frustration and put away the communicator underneath the desk where it would be hidden. I tucked my knees in and exhaled only worrying about everyone. These meetings always left me a little more depressed and upset. No one seemed to be doing too bad, but no one seemed to be doing well.

I heard a knock on the door behind me and I turned to see Bucky at the door. He looked to me with a worried expression, but I tried to sit up taller and wash away my sad face.

"Who are you talking to?" He asked me.

"Myself." I said quickly.

"What for?" He asked.

"Just working on some stuff." I said getting to my feet.