Chapter 38

( I know Daphne Greengrass is supposed to be in Slytherin and in Harry's year, but let's ignore that)

The day of the ball, in the morning, Arabella heard Parvati convincing her twin sister, Padma, to go to the ball with Ron. Parvati would go with Harry. Arabella was happy Harry found a partner. The castle had been adorned beautifully, more beautiful than Arabella had ever seen.

On her way to Transfiguration, Arabella was stopped. In front of her was a Ravenclaw girl from her year. Her name was Daphne Greengrass, she was tall and slender, with luscious dark blonde hair and deep blue eyes. Probably one of the prettiest girls in Hogwarts. Arabella would even say she was way prettier than Fleur, who was part veela.

"Uh, Daphne hi" Arabella squealed. She felt her face going red, she cleared her throat and smiled at Daphne, "sorry, hi" Arabella repeated now with a clear voice.

"Hi" Daphne giggled and smiled at Arabella, "uhm, I was wondering, if no one has asked you yet... if you'd like to go to the ball with me tonight?" Daphne blushed as she asked.

"Uh... I'm so really flattered, Daphne, I really am, but someone has already asked me" Arabella smiled at Daphne apologetically, "however, if you were interested... my friend Blake still has no partner" I said innocently.

"Blake Downey? The pretty girl with green eyes and dark hair?" Daphne asked curiously.

"Yes..."

"Do you think she'll say yes?" Daphne asked hopefully, "I've been terrified to talk to her, I didn't know she liked girls"

"Daphne, the only thing Blake likes more than girls is breathing, so go for it" Arabella encouraged her. Daphne bit her lip and muttered a thanks to Arabella before going away.

After lunch, Arabella was tackled to the ground by an overexcited Blake. While Arabella was still on the ground, Blake sat on her stomach, taking Arabella's air out. Blake was smiling like crazy, and she was laughing.

"You'll never guess what happened!" Blame exclaimed.

"Why don't you tell me on the way to the common room?" Arabella asked her, gasping for air, "you're crushing me"

"Oh my Merlin, I'm so sorry!" Blake stood up and helped Arabella up.

As they were walking, Blake told Arabella how Daphne Greengrass had found her before lunch and asked her if she wanted to go to the ball with her. They had stayed in the hall talking all through lunch, Blake told her how they had a lot of things in common, they were both older siblings with divorced parents, and they were both terrible at potions, both of them wanted to pursue creative jobs after Hogwarts.

"Hm, is that a wedding, I'm smelling?" Arabella teased, Blake shoved her and laughed.

"How do you even smell a wedding?" Blake shook her head and laughed.

"Smells like cake" Arabella said obviously.

"Idiot" Blake chuckled, "would you help me get ready?"

"Of course, come on" Arabella smiled, and put her arm around Blake, pulling her to the common room with her.

Arabella waited as Blake took a shower, using the time to do her hair and put some light makeup on. By the time Blake got out of the shower, Arabella's hair was lightly curled and half of it was pinned up in a braid, her bangs still falling in her face. Blake sat in her underwear in front of the vanity, and let Arabella work with her hair. Arabella dried Blake's hair with her wand, and curled it at the bottom. Blake was already stunning as she was, so Arabella didn't really do anything, just put her some eyeliner in her eyes, it was all she dared to do. She would not dare to cover Blake's freckles with makeup. When they looked at the time, there was only half an hour until the ball. Blake first helped Arabella into her dress, a flowy baby blue dress with a bustier bodice, and small gems in the semitransparent part of the back of the dress and shoulders. Then, Arabella helped Blake into her dress. Looking at Blake, Arabella was mesmerised. It was ethereal. There was no other way to describe it it was a long sleeved gown with a semitransparent bodice in a tan color, with lace flowers adorning it.

"You look amazing" Arabella told Blake, after she regained her composure.

"Well, what do you say about yourself? You look like a faerie" Blake told her, making her spin, "come on now, the ball is about to start" Blake pulled Arabella with her.

It was probably the best sight at Hogwarts, seeing everyone in formal wear in the winter landscape of Hogwarts, just like fairytale. All the girls looked amazing, so beautiful in princess gowns, flowy dresses, and tuxedos made to measure. The boys looked pretty handsome too, most were wearing dress robes, some had formal tuxedos, and some others were wearing formal kilts.

Blake left Arabella to go find Daphne, so Arabella walked alone to the main Hall, she was supposed to meet there with George. As time passed, Arabella grew worried, it was almost time of the ball, all of the champions had already passed by. Cedric had stopped to tell her how beautiful she looked and then walked away, with Cho holding his arm. Arabella smiled at them. What if everything had beed a prank from George? Just make her think she would go to the ball with her but then leave her stood up. Her heart was beating fast, her breath increased, and her hands were sweating. She started scratching her fingers unconsciously as she paced at the bottom of the main staircase. It was seven o'clock and George was still not there, so Arabella shook her head, picked up her dress and started walking to the common room again, she'd rather not go go the ball than to go in by herself, probably to be received by George laughing his ass off, the biggest prank so far.

As she was walking away, she heard steps, but she didn't want to see another happy couple going to the ball. But the steps got closer, and someone grabbed her arm, and spun her around. He first grabbed her hands, he had noticed she had been scratching again. George sighed and pulled her for a hug.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I had some wardrobe malfunction" George told her. Arabella hugged him and smelled his scent, licorice and burning wood.

"I thought you wouldn't show up" Arabella told him. He smiled softly at her and offered her his arm, which she gladly took.

"And have you murder me in my sleep? No, thank you" George joked and Arabella laughed.

"You used your brain for once, George, didn't it hurt?" Arabella said, looking at him from the corner of her eye. He laughed and shook his head.

"You've been so kind to me that I forgot how mean you could be" George said.

They seemed to be the last ones to enter, everyone turned to look at them.

"Oh my gods, everyone's watching" Arabella muttered, suddenly very self conscious.

"I know I look great, but please, stop staring, a picture will last longer" George said aloud. Many laughed and clapped, Dumbledore amongst them. Harry was laughing, he waved at Arabella, who winked at him, "come on, Fred saved us a seat" George whispered to Arabella and led her to one of the tables, where Fred was sitting with Angelina, Ron was sitting with Padma, Lee was sitting with Alicia Spinnet, and Seamus Finnigan was sitting with Dean Thomas.

"You look beautiful, Arabella" Angelina told her, "I love that color on you"

"Thank you so much, at least someone noticed" Arabella said venemously, looking at George, "you look really pretty"

"Wait, that idiot didn't tell you how beautiful you look?" Angelina asked, Arabella shook her head, "George, you are such an arse!"

"What? Why do I need to tell her she looks beautiful? She always looks beautiful, a dress and some makeup is not gonna change that" George said casually.