Chapter 45

The Apparition test took place on Arabella's 17th birthday, it started early in the morning, Blake, Adrian, Fred and George were there too, apart from some seventh years and two or three fifth years. It went on smoothly, Blake apparated fifty meters away from the target on the first trial, but other than that, she did it flawlessly. A fifth year kid from Belgium, that was doing the test because Apparition in Belgium is legal since age 16, had a minor splinch in his leg, which resulted in him failing the exam. A girl that was coursing again because she failed the first exam, was unable to apparate altogether. Fred and George were probably the best, they never missed the target and were quick, they received full marks. Adrian was a little clumsy on the landing but he passed.

Arabella was the last one, the old wizard that was grading them told her to go to the target as swiftly as possible. She visualized where she wanted to go and concentrated, she felt her stomach in a twist and before she finished blinking, she found herself on top of the target. She kneeled and grabbed the bucket placed next to the target, and let her breakfast leave her body. After puking, she cleaned her face with some water and concentrated on the place she had started. This time it was faster and not as nauseating.

"That's good, yes, vomiting is normal for many people, dear. It will get better with time" he told Arabella and scribbled something on his parchment.

After the next trials, Arabella vomited two more times but her apparitions were quick and precise. In the end, she supported her weight on Adrian, who kept her steady. The wizard recommended she drank some pumpkin juice back in the castle and ate a small meal, but not to much in case the nausea lingered.

Back at Hogwarts, Arabella was still looking a bit green, and Blake volunteered to go to Madam Pomfrey for an antinausea potion. Adrian had to go do a Muggle Studies essay, so he left Arabella with Fred and George. Fred was practically carrying Arabella, while she had most likely passed the test, that many apparitions in a row had left her without forces. George joked that Arabella should stick to brooms and Thestrals. After resting a few minutes, Arabella was good to walk on her own, although the twins kept flanking her in case she got dizzy.

In the main entrance to the castle, Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick seemed to be arguing with someone else. Arabella never said no to some gossip so her and the twins got closer. When they got close enough, Arabella recognised the other person as Cara, Altan's mother. Arabella despised that woman, while Altan lived with her and their father, she never wrote to Altan and didn't even answer his letters; Severus had written to her regarding Altan's death and funeral, she never answered and didn't attend the funeral.

"I want my daughter's belongings!" Arabella heard Cara yell.

"Cara, I don't know you to make this clearer, Altan's belongings were returned to Severus and Arabella, if you are interested in something your son had in his possession, I suggest you talk to them" Professor McGonagall said sternly.

"Those people are the reason my sweet girl is gone! She was my life and the least you could do is give me Elena's things" Cara said angrily. This struck a nerve in Arabella, who suddenly now had the strength to stand up straight and walk up to her.

"You fucking liar!" Arabella exclaimed, "you abandoned Altan at our house and took off with your family. In four years, you never called, never wrote, never got interested on how your kid was doing, not even in his birthday, so don't come and say he was your life, when you got him out of your life as soon as you had the chance" Arabella accused her, pointing her finger at the older woman.

"Elena was fine until you entered her life" Cara stood up straighter and slapped Arabella's hand away.

"Stop calling him Elena! His name is Altan and you don't know anything about him" Arabella clenched her teeth, "we told you he died and you didn't even come to his funeral. Honestly, I'm glad you never contacted him, because you didn't deserve to have him in your life. Altan was too good of a human being to have such a deadbeat mother. And by the way, you are not getting anything of his" Arabella finished and turned around to leave.

She felt her energy drain, and Fred was there to support her. George suddenly pulled Arabella behind him and raised his wand, he created a shield in front of him and a spell crashed against it. Arabella grabbed her wand and turned to see Cara with her wand raised at them. Before Arabella, the twins or Cara could do anything, a red flash hit Cara on her side, she collapsed.

"Never in my life have I seen such behaviour!" Professor McGonagall exclaimed, putting her wand away "attacking someone with their back turned, a student nonetheless" she huffed, "Filius, help me get her to Poppy, I'll inform Albus. Ms. Snape, you are looking pale, I would suggest going to the Great Hall, I'm sure they're serving tea" She turned to leave but stopped and turned to see Arabella, "by the way dear, happy birthday"

"Thank you, Professor" Arabella said with a soft smile.

Fred and George walked Arabella to the Great Hall, where she was welcomed by Adrian with a bone crushing hug and a small birthday breakfast he had planned. He had lied about the essay he had to do and gone straight to the kitchens to ask for Arabella's favourites. Cedric was there, he looked worriedly at his girlfriend, who was paper white, but she told him about vomiting her way through the Apparition test and he calmed down. Even though Cedric had congratulated her at midnight during Prefect patrol, he did again, accompanied by a sweet kiss and a small parcel he told her not to open just yet. Severus was standing awkwardly to the side, waiting for his daughter's friends to finish congratulating her.

For her first eleven years, Severus had always asked for a week off on Arabella's birthday, he was always there to wake her up on her birthday and hug her. It changed when she came to Hogwarts, he could no longer just enter her room, he had to wait for her at the Great Hall with her favourite breakfast waiting for her, but this year was different, not only had Adrian Pucey had gotten ahead of him with breakfast, but he felt estranged from his daughter. He knew that her knowing the truth about her mother's and his' relationship, and more importantly, the lack of it, would stain their relationship, but he never believed the extent at which it would hurt her. And what was worse, she still didn't know the whole truth, something he was sure she would eventually do, and she would hate him even more.

"Hey, Dad" He heard Arabella's voice. He smiled softly and hugged his daughter, kissing the top of her head.

"Happy birthday, Arabella" Severus said softly.