5.

The last thing I wanted to do was get on a plane and go back to my hometown for Chris's engagement party. He mentioned it to me a few days ago and of course, I didn't want to let him down. It's the fact I had to be around Sawyer was the reason my skin was itching. They finally picked a wedding date, which was at the end of the year. So that meant I only had six more months before the dreaded day, six more months till I see him marry the wrong person.

Why? That was always the question on my mind when I thought about it. I wanted to truly accept it, I wanted to let it go so I could have some inner peace with myself but honestly... I just couldn't bring it in me. This book I am writing isn't helping the feeling, but it sure is good for getting the emotions out. Who needs therapy when you can write a book about how you are in love with your best friend and he's marrying a girl who cares nothing about him except his dollar? It's free and it's fun.

The plane ride to Boston wasn't bad, besides Reed snoring so loud I couldn't bother writing because I was so distracted. Chris decided last minute to throw a little engagement party with his closest family friends. I know Sawyer wasn't too happy about it because she wanted something more glitz and glamour, trying to find different ways to use Chris's credit card. I guess she is sucking it up for this occasion.

"Honey! We are going to be late!" I heard my mom shout as I stared into the mirror in my old childhood home. Lately, I haven't been facing the music like I should be. Truth be told, I didn't want to see Sawyer and him together. That was like pins and needles. As the footsteps became heavier, I didn't even bother turning around. My mother placed her hands on my shoulder, resting her head on top of them. "I know you don't want to go."

"Oh, you couldn't tell?" I asked sarcastically and she rolled her eyes.

"I know you don't like her," She tells me, as she rubs my shoulders to calm me down. "I mean... to be fair, we all aren't a fan of her. But you have to suck it up. No sass mouthing miss Reece."

"I'm not going to sass her mom," I turn around to grab the shoes I am going to wear. "I am a grown adult, and it's Chris's time. I wouldn't want to sabotage it even if I despise her. But boy, do I have some fine words to say to her."

"Don't we all." My mom mumbles, walking out of the room. I gotta keep reminding myself that this moment isn't about me or my emotions. It's not about how much my family and his family hate his bride to be. This is for Chris. Not for Sawyer, because I want nothing to do with her. But I just want my best friend happy, even if that means I become unhappy. I strap on my shoes and make my way down the stairs, where I see Reed looking up at me with a devilish smirk on his face.

"You look like you are having the time of your life." Reed mumbles into my ear and I rolled my eyes.

"Wanna make a bet to see how many times she'll groom him during dinner?" I asked him and he laughed.

"I don't even have to bet on that." He tells me. "I just know it's going to happen one way or another."

"Are we ready to get this over and done with?" I turn around to see my father fixing his tie. We have never had a problem having dinner with the Evans. They are close friends that we considered part of our family. But we didn't include Sawyer, because she's... you know... Sawyer.

"Dale." My mom warns my father. "Don't say that. Now we are going to have a nice time. We don't get to see the kids a lot and Chris is like a son to us. We might not like the poor girl but we can at least be optimistic about the situation! So suck it up. It'll be like any other dinner." My father rolled his eyes as he followed her out the door and Reed snickered.