Sixteen

Jungkook's Backstory

Christmas Eve was nothing but a usual day as I waited for my parents to come home from work.

They said we would be celebrating together, but something came up with my mom's work which stopped them from flying back home on time.

It was fine, though. It's not like I look forward to Christmas Eve anyways.

Unlike children my age, I don't get excited in such events. I don't even believe in Santa Clause who could give me my most wanted gift.

How could he if all I wanted was time with my parents. It's not something he could wrap in colorful designs with ribbons on top.

It was something only my parents could give, but it's not like I don't understand their reasons for working so hard.

They wanted to give me a comfortable life which was something I'm thankful of.

Still, the ten-year old me longed for affection, but I wouldn't dare ask for it.

As I sat on the couch in the living room with nothing but silence by my side, the phone suddenly rang.

It was a call from my parents which I had already expected.

"We'll be a little late, sweetheart, but don't worry, we'll make it home tonight, okay?" My mother said, assuring me.

"Okay. I understand." I answered, biting back the sudden tears that threatened my lonely eyes.

It was really fine, and yet I found myself sobbing as soon as I ended the call.

Maybe because I knew that those were just empty words. They probably wouldn't make it back tonight, and this brought more tears in my eyes as I stared outside the window.

There were still people outside who were rushing to go home in time for Christmas.

Children were even playing in the snow that started to fall and paint the surroundings with nothing but white.

They looked so happy playing outside, and in no time, I found myself running with them, playing with the snow.

"Let's go here!" A girl in white coat urged us to follow her in the park.

Everyone did, including me who was shivering from cold, but it didn't stop me nevertheless.

"Let's play hide and seek!" The girl suggested and everyone just agreed to her as if she's the leader or some sort.

"Okay. Taehyung, you're it." The girl pointed to the one with raven hair, cheeks fluffy and flushed, eyes innocently round and big.

"Noona.." The one called Taehyung looked like he's about to cry, but he couldn't do anything.

"You're it. We will start hiding as I count to ten. Don't you dare open your eyes." The girl said to which Taehyung nodded, closing his eyes that instant.

As the girl started counting, I found myself hiding behind a huge tree as the snow continued to fall down. My palms were numb from cold as I blew on them while the seeker finally started to look around.

I heard other children shrieking in laughter as they got caught one by one while I hid even more, peeking a little from time to time.

"My mom's calling me now." I heard one of the children say which had me peeking once more.

"Me too. Daddy said he's done preparing the gifts." The other said as they rushed away from the park.

I saw few more parents come to pick up their children which made me feel a bit envious towards them.