we're 21, we're ready! ➪ ch. 22

"uh, can we talk to you guys?" ricky said nervously. nini and ricky had decided to tell them exactly a week from when they made it official. they had a dinner and were now sitting in the bowen's living room. "sure, what is it bud?" mike said as he sat next to nini. ricky took her hand, he felt the coldness of her ring and he smiled lightly. "uh, before we say anything i know we did this completely wrong and we should've asked for your blessing" ricky started rambling feeling the pit of guilt growing in his stomach. "sweetie what are you-" "we're engaged!" nini cut off mama d. "you're what?!" they all turned their heads and were faced with a red-faced lynne. oh boy. "uh-uh-" ricky stuttered. "ricky, sweetie, calm down" carol rubbed his arm soothingly. she didn't want to him in a ditch right now? huh, that's a shocker. mike sighed, "why does she always show up at the worst times" he mumbled. "mike, sweetie, i took the pie out of the- oh" jenn came out of the kitchen to be faced with many different facial expressions. "what's goin on here?" she asked with a sweet laugh. "none of your business" lynne said with distaste. "it is actually, she's my girlfriend" mike said as he walked over to jenn. she smiled up at him appreciatively. lynne rolled her eyes, "can we talk about the fact that these two are engaged?! i mean how much of an idiot could you be richard?-" nini was not going to let her trash talk her fiancé. "it was me, actually" she interrupted. everyone's eyes went to her. "you what?! how could you? you-" lynne yelled. "you do not yell at my daughter!" dana yelled to lynne. nini was already getting a headache, she was very much regretting ever wanting to tell them. "hey, neens, relax. she's not even in my life anymore. her opinion on anything i do in it is invalid." his words calmed her and she sunk into his side. as all the adults were having a screaming match ricky and nini had left to his room. she laid her head on his pillow and he softly ran his fingers through her hair admiring her as she rested her eyes. soon enough they heard someone knock, "can we come in?" his fathers voice rang through the now quiet home. "yeah" ricky said shortly. nini sat up and sat crisscross playing with ricky's hand as she saw all the adults minus lynne walk into the mediocrely sized room. "um, she's gone so if you want to talk now, we can" mama c broke the awkward tension building up in the room that shouldn't have so many people in it. "ok" the couple whispered quietly. everyone walked down stairs in silence, it was killing nini. silence always made her ears ring. "so, we're engaged" nini said again, as if she couldn't believe it herself. jenn's eyes widened not having heard it the first time. but once she saw how tightly nini was holding onto ricky's hand, so tight her knuckles were white, a smile grew on her face. someone would have to be an idiot to break these two up. "you are" mama c agreed. "we're not going to get mad but you two are 18, are you sure your even ready for that much of a commitment?" mama d asked trying to not think to hard about it because she knew she'd blow up. "it's not like we're getting married tomorrow..and we are ready, i've been in love with this girl since kindergarten. and yes, i messed up, and let us miss out on nearly a year of us. but i'm not messing up again, i've learned my lesson; i never wanna be nini deprived again" nini laughed through her tears. all the parents in the room had watery eyes at the young boy's confession. "ok, well as long as you aren't getting married tomorrow," mama c played with him making him laugh lightly. "i don't think you two did anything wrong" everyone else nodding their head agreement. soon enough all the women were planning an engagement party with mike listening lightly while he admired jenn as he held her hand in his. the kids had gone up stairs, laying in a comfortable silence. "this is crazy" she said with a smile. he smiled, "what is?" he asked facing her as they both laid down facing the roof. "we're engaged" she said in disbelief. "yep" he spoke not believing it himself. "you're my fiancé. HOLY COW" she said with a giggle. his smile widened. "life is good" she set her hand on his cheek bone, running her thumb back and forth on his soft skin. "yeah" he mumbled.

*

(three years later, junior year of college)

"RICHARD! aRE YOU HERE?" she yelled as she set the keys down in a small bowl by the door. she slipped off her shoes and walked around. "IM IN HERE DARLING!" he yelled from the game room. she ran (weirdly) to the end of the mediocrely large dorm-apartment. "hello!" he said sweetly to her after tearing his eyes from the screen. "hi" she smiled. "what brings you here?" he paused the tv. "um, important question" she said sitting next to him putting his arm around her shoulder, getting comfortable. "uh oh, last time that happened we were engaged" he laughed. she stayed silent. "are you breaking up with me?!" he asked getting worried. "what?! no, no, no, never" she shook her head. "but it does have to do with the whole relationship thing" she said shortly. "go for it" he smiled. "do you wanna get married?" she asked closing her eyes. "uh, yeah. why else would we be engaged" he laughed. "you're so dense- i mean like right now!" she laughed. "but our wedding is planned for a year from now.." he said confused. "i know, but i'm so tired of waiting! we've been waiting for three years! ricky. we're 21, we're ready!" she said almost desperate. "are you sure?" he looked into her eyes. "i'm 1000% positive, unless you don't want to.." she whispered quietly. "you know i do." he said with a smile as he played with her hands. "what about our wedding though?" he asked as the question popped in his head. "we can still get married with all our friends and family but i want this already" she said with her eyes full of hope. then she smiled at him, "well then, let's get married. tonight?" he asked. "tonight" and with that, she kissed him.
________________________________
(word count: 1113) hehehe i hope you liked this one !!! ❤️ IT TOOK THREE DAYS TO WRITE. (may 17-19) BE APPRECIATIVE 🥲 hope u enjoyed <33

(double update?)