Chapter 3 Sabrina

I looked around and noticed the girls had sat down and were talking with two guys in the back. Motioning to the left, my dancing companion knew I was heading back to my section.

"Thanks for the dance."

He smiled and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Can I call you sometime?" he asked.

"I don't think so. I'm just getting out of something and dating is the last thing on my mind right now."

The guy was still watching me and snapped his fingers for the girl in his lap to get up.

I walked back to my table.

"Are you having fun?"

Liz slurred, "Peachy."

I rolled my eyes at her comment. I began looking for the mystery man of the hour. His friend started walking toward our table.

"Oh shit, I hope we don't get kicked out!" Janice yelled out. "Close your mouth before a fly gets inside."

I cleared my throat and turned to look up at this tall drink of water.

"Can I help you?"

I attempted to hold back my nervousness.

Janice stood up swaying back and forth.

"Damn, you're hot."

"Thank you beautiful," Dimitri replied.

He turned and looked back at his friend. He pointed at him.

"My boss wanted to meet you."

I looked over at the guy still sitting with his entourage, showcasing my best annoyed look at the audacity of this man to send someone over to order me. He must really not know a single thing about confident black women.

"Tell your boss I'm a grown ass woman. If he's this big man, then he can get up and walk to me like a gentleman."

"Do you know who he is?" he questioned.

"I know of him and that doesn't matter to me," I said before I tilted my head to the left and crossed my arms over my chest.

"So you know that he's the type to get what he wants," he stated and winked.

"And I'm the type to let know I'm not the type to be bought," I fussed, planting my hands on my hips.

He headed back to his friends. After having my say, I turned, grabbed my purse off the table, kissed and hugged my girls goodbye, and walked out of the club. I passed my keys toward the valet as I checked my watch to see how late it was getting. When my car pulled up, I tipped him and said thank you and slid inside putting my key in the ignition and drove over to the local diner to grab some takeout. I parked in front of Sybil's, then ran inside to get a quick togo sandwich.

"Sabrina, you grabbing your usual?" Cesar asked, wiping down the menus.

I leaned over the counter, rubbing my hands together to stay warm.

"Yes please, turkey burger and fries," I say, going into my purse to grab some money.

The employee back door swung open. I wasn't up to another man trying to tell me I belonged to him so I ignored Jacobi. Don't get me wrong he's cute with a long beard, he's muscle built and six feet or five ten in height, but his ego was through the roof.

"Is that my future wife?" Jacobi flirted, and laid the dish bucket on the top of the counter.

"No and don't start Jacobi. I'm exhausted and not up to dealing with your shit," I said handing twenty dollars to Cesar.

"You come around one day sexy," Jacobi announced and blew me a kiss.

"Glad it's not today."

...

Twenty minutes later, I pulled into my apartment building and greeted the doorman.

We always passed each other, either during the day or at night. He was an older gentleman around my father's age.

"How are you, George?"

"Sabrina, it's been a few days since we've spoken."

Thinking back to the last time we talked, his wife was in the hospital and I had sent flowers and a card to her.

"It has, we need our tea dates set back up. Is everything good with Karen?"

I noticed a slight shift in his mood when I brought up his wife.

"She's slowly getting better. You know with cancer, it's an up and down situation, but we're determined to beat this."

I walked around the security desk and gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek.

I moved toward the elevator, thinking of a way to help his family. George had been around my family and me around his. I knew all his kids and grandkids. The first chance I got, I was going to visit Karen and take her to lunch. Soon as I got on my phone, my ex was calling me.

"Sabrina! Sabrina!" Alex rushed out.

"What do you want?" I asked and hit the button to my floor.

"Just hear me out please," Alex pleaded and I scoffed at his audacity to think I should give him any of my time.

"You have five minutes."

The door closed and the signal went out like I thought, and I chuckled at him trying to beg for my forgiveness. Got off a few minutes later and my phone started to ring again, I ignored the call and put the key in the door.