Chapter 1 Sabrina

I had had the worst possible day and now my two best friends have dedicated themselves to getting me out of my funk. I've been dealing with a sixty-hour work week, clients running late, and my family constantly harping on my failed engagement. Tonight could be really great and exactly what I needed, or it could turn out to be epically dreadful.

For the past few weeks, my ex had been trying to swindle his way back into my life.

Not today, Satan.

I refused to deal with his lies and cheating.

I pulled up to the exclusive, trendy nightclub, Ryde—they've been open for only a year and have quickly earned a reputation for hosting high profile actors and models throwing lavish parties. Janice had texted and said she had a table already reserved, and I was glad, because she knew this long stretch of people standing outside in line wouldn't work for my mood at the moment.

"I really need a drink after the day I've had," I mumbled under my breath as I got out of the car and approached the door.

I attempted to go around the bouncer, and it was just my luck that he was feeling himself big time.

"Name, please?"

I perused the line behind me, turned back toward the bouncer, and narrowed my eyes at his nametag.

"Ronald," I mumbled under my breath. With a name like that, I'd be bitchy all day, too. "Really, we're playing this game?" My short fuse was about to burn down. His eyes shifted from the grumbling and raucous shouting of the crowd back to me.

"Lady, I don't care who you are, this is my job. So, again, name?"

I was desperately trying to not go off on this guy. The way I was set up, people should think twice about stepping to me.

I relaxed my shoulders, shifted my weight from one foot to the other, and put on the best smile possible.

"Sabrina Washington."

He smiled back and slowly unhooked the velvet rope and gestured for me to enter. I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. He'd be lucky to have someone like me mentioned at his club. The Washington name rings bells on New York Wall Street.

I walked into the club as Chance the Rapper's "No Problem" was blaring. The crowd was thick, and people were standing wall to wall.

My head started to reel from all the weed smoke wafting in my face.

"Jesus, no wonder it's the top club in the city, they let you do just about anything in here."

Finally spotting Janice and Liz, I attempted to walk over and got stopped by some guy bumping into me. "Damn, lil mama, I didn't see you there."

"It's fine."

I started to walk off and he jerked me back into his chest. "What's the rush?" I glanced at his hand still holding onto my arm and jerked away from him.

"Look, I'm not one of these lil girls that fall all over the guy in the club flaunting his money. You'd do well to keep your hands to yourself, buddy."

He smiled and held his arms up in a surrendering stance.

"My bad, gorgeous," he whispered in my ear, "You need some dick, let your boy help you out."

I waved him off and walked over to my friends at the bar.

"All right, I'm here, now let's get this over and done before I really get annoyed."