Chapter 6 Antonio

I sat at my desk in my office thinking about the night before and the beauty that captured my thoughts. I couldn't stop thinking about her. I knew with my father grooming me to take on the role as head of the Cartel, she wouldn't fit into this world of death and chaos. This life consisted of murder, money, long hours, and frequent unexplainable business trips. The moment I started to even think of feeling something for her, my chest got tighter and my palms sweaty. She'd run, and I knew deep down I'd never let her go. Besides, this family would never allow it.

Hearing a knock at the door, I saw my mother coming inside. Maria De Luca, the Donna of the family, and the keeper of all our secrets.

I rose out of my seat to walk over for a hug and kiss.

"Good morning, son." Mother kissed both my cheeks and sat in the chair in front of his desk.

"Good morning, Mama. How are you today?"

"I'm doing well, but I heard some distressing news yesterday, and I wanted to come and speak with you."

"What's the matter, is it Dad, Bruno?"

"Nothing like that. I was talking with Gloria Bianchi and she informed me that you canceled twice on her daughter for dinner."

My mom was the sweetest woman in the world, but when things in the family weren't flowing the way my father needed them to, he sent her to fix the problem.

Her gaze had me struggling with coming up with an excuse for missing her dinner plans.

"Mama, I understand you've planned this out since I was a little boy to marry someone from another Cartel family, but I can't marry someone I don't love."

"Son, we want you to be happy, and if Bianchi's daughter doesn't make you happy, then so be it, but it's time you've moved on from Camilla."

She stood up and hugged me tightly.

"I want grandbabies and your father is ready to retire. He may not say it to you boys, but I know it."

"How about I make a deal with you? Let me find my future wife on my own, and when the time is right, you'll be the first to know when the grandbabies are coming."

Mom started smiling and gently ran her hands across my cheek.

"Don't forget about Sunday dinner."

She started looking around my messy office as she left out.

"I won't, but I have a meeting in a few minutes. I need to go; can you see yourself out?"

"Of course, and Antonio, I love you."

Hearing that made me smile at the woman who loved me unconditionally. I decided to head over to Ryde early to handle some last-minute paperwork.

Salvatore, my driver, was outside waiting.

"Ryde or home?"

"Ryde."

"Salvatore, how long did it take you to want to get married to Angela?"

He turned toward me. He was shocked at my question.

"Kid, are you serious?"

"Yeah."

"Something that you just know," Salvatore answered.

I never looked at myself to want to get married or even be committed to a woman, but thinking back on first seeing her in my club and the way her eyes drew me into her soul, I needed to know her and make her mine.

Growing up, Salvatore was always around. He was my dad's driver, as well as his best friend. We called him Uncle Sal whenever we wanted something we couldn't get from our parents.

"I don't know, it's just this girl I saw the other night at the club that got my mind going in circles. I'm thinking of the possibilities of settling down."

"The king of one-night stands wants to get married and have kids?" He erupted in laughter.

"Not yet. There's this woman that caught my eye," I said, shifted in my seat thinking about her reaction to my note.

"She must be really important to you," Salvatore said, stopping at the red light.

"She will be."

"What do you think your father will say?" Salvatore asked and my jaw twitched in anger thinking about him never accepting who I chose to love.

"I don't know and honestly don't care."

"Then you're officially the Don," Salvatore joked.

I let out a small laugh as well. We both knew I had a reputation for being single and having women in rotation. Now seeing the woman across the room had sparked a glimpse of what marriage could be if she'd have me. The light changed and he went right taking the shortcut through traffic toward my business.

...

Half an hour later, I arrived at the club and shook hands with the security guys outside and I walked inside, greeted all my staff standing around talking and preparing for tonight, and walked toward the bar for a drink.

"The usual, oBoss?" Marco the bartender asked.

I nodded my head in agreement. I looked over my shoulder and admired the layout of the building. Already the press was talking about the opening night of the club and celebrities that came in and hung in the VIP area. Tonight would be another all-nighter of handling paperwork and ordering more supplies for the bar. I took a shot of the scotch and motioned for another shot. He poured more in the glass, I tipped him fifty and I checked my watch, grabbed my drink, and went to my office. I shut the door behind me and sat down at my desk. Leftover inventory orders needed to be filled so I wanted to get a head start. As I typed in my computer to check the numbers, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I slid it out and saw a text from April.

April: Baby can I see you again?

She then sent a picture of her in bed squeezing her breasts. Once I finished in the hotel I left and never looked back. She got too comfortable with thinking we would become something more.

Me: Lose my number.

April: So you didn't have a good time?

Me: Don't flatter yourself.

I chortled and blocked her number and continued managing the club affairs for the day. I called the bartender in so we could do a walkthrough of the bar.

"Yeah boss," Marco said, knocked on my door.

"Do you have the list of inventory we need?" I inquired.

"I have the list at the bar, let me grab it really quick."

"Also, do you have the schedule planned out for the month?" I asked, tossing a file in the trash can.

"Based on the numbers from the opening we might need to get about two more part timers to help ease traffic," Marco stated and I nodded in agreement.

"Okay, put a call in with the temp agency and set up interviews." He left out to grab forms and I continued going through emails of potential business prospects. A few minutes later Marco came back in with two stacks of paperwork for all of my clubs and we started running numbers and setting up the next drop off.