027

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN : ROMEO AND JULIET

|

"what's going on?"

everyone rushed outside, poised to attack the incoming threat. your mouth hung open as you craned your neck to look up at the monstrosity— as tall as a building, probably has shoulders wide as one too, and seemingly made of rock. it roared as it approached.

"is this the power...?" you heard shigaraki mumble. glancing over, you saw a big smile on his face. he didn't look like he was used to it, but you found it cute. "...kurogiri?"

"so you're the successor of all for one?" it bellowed, addressing shigaraki. "well then, successor... prove your worth to me."

"what?" shigaraki deadpanned. his eyes widened in disbelief, quickly dodging when the monster attacked. following suit, you widened your stance and prepared to trust your 'other side'. but shigaraki's hand found your wrist.

you paused and looked at him expectantly. "yes, shigaraki?"

"stay... stay back. don't fight." he said.

you narrowed your eyes, coming closer to him to hear over the noise. "what? why?"

"you're our healer. if you go into stupor when you recklessly use that new power of yours, how are any of us going to get better?" he explained.

you sighed, nodding. "okay..." you glanced at him through your lashes, and he was already staring back at you. a wordless conversation was exchanged as you stared at each other.

"ayo, boss, stop trying to play romeo and watch out—!" dabi yelled from a distance and in the next second, shigaraki shoved you aside and the monster's hand slapped shigaraki's body up and away. he flew through the air with the impact.

you rubbed your soreness from your arms and sides. "shigaraki! shit, where the fuck did he land?"

you were tackled by dabi as the monster's hand swiped above your heads. you groaned as your chest slammed into the rocky surface below. 

"no hard feelings? we even now?" dabi asked, getting up. you laughed weakly and said a small 'yeah'. "good. now you stop playing juliet and be aware of your surroundings."

your face heated up and you nodded, though you were still scouring the battlefield for your romeo.

you noticed twice saying something to toga and then she said something back before a slimy liquid sprouted from their mouths. your head cocked to the side, confused, before the same thing happened to you. 

you couldn't breath and all you could see was black before you coughed, arriving somewhere entirely different. 

shigaraki was the one that helped you up. you accepted his hand happily, giving it a squeeze before he let go, not missing his flushed face at all.

nomu were everywhere, in tanks. screens were lit up at the far end of the room and the doctor was over there too. you didn't listen to much of their conversation, but you paid extra attention to shigaraki. he looked the most mature when he was talking about his past and his plans for the future and you understood him better. 

he has been bred for a life of destruction. he doesn't know anything else. no wonder he'd try to destroy your relationship in the only way he knew how to. you pursed your lips.

tuning out for a while, you were snapped back when dabi said he was leaving. 

"do what you want, leader, but i ain't helping." he shrugged. toga giggled.

"you're just pouting since you were basically useless." she grinned. dabi rolled his eyes, smiling.

"shut up, you lunatic. i have a potential ally i need to invest in." dabi glanced at shigaraki. "i'm looking out for myself, okay?"

shigaraki faced dabi. "bring this ally, then. i'll be waiting."

the doctor shrieked in excitement, blabbering about how his new nomus could be tested before sending everyone back the way they came. suddenly, you were facing machia again.

shigaraki took the hand that was on his face off, declaring to the monster, "the future king has returned!"

you grinned at him, a fizzy feeling blooming in your stomach as you felt the determination and confidence radiating off shigaraki in waves. it bolstered you, too, but as you kinda expected—

"y/n, stay back."

groaning, you dropped your arms. "but you could use—"

"i said no. who's going to patch me up if you're out? you have to take care of me after i protect you, right?" he said. you felt that obligation again, the one where you would do anything he needed of you. you sighed and nodded, falling back.

as you looked at him before he went off, you caught a smile. locking eyes, you knew that after he defeated machia, you were his next target.