𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 - 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐁𝐫𝐮𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐧𝐞𝐰. Blood was nothing new. But the pain from her new shattered rib had Phoebe Whittemore in tears as she stared at herself through the mirror. "Jesus," she sighed, allowing her shirt to fall back down to her waist.

In her eyes, she had set herself up for this. Her twin brother, Jackson, always told Phoebe that her sarcastic personality would only get herself in a bad situation, and that night proved him right.

The family of four sat at their dinner table, peacefully eating dinner. That was until David Whittemore cleared his throat and looked towards Jackson. "I expect you to actually be captain this season," he stated harshly, causing Phoebe to sit up straighter.

"He had nothing to do with what happened last season," she spoke up, taking the attention off of her brother. She ignored the warning look from him and continued to put her "father" in his place. "You should just be proud that he is good at the sport.."

"I am proud of him," David cut her off. "Unlike you, he actually does something with his life."

Rachel, who was sitting directly across from Phoebe and beside her husband took a deep breath and faced David. "How about we talk about something else."

Instead of talking about something else, dinner ended early and David had dragged Phoebe into the living room, despite the other household member's protests.

And now Phoebe was crawling through her window and onto the roof. She carefully lowered herself and took in the view. With the dim light coming from the moon, along with the street lamps, she could easily see a figure crossing the street.

Isaac Lahey, too, had just gotten into a fight with his father. Though he didn't get a shattered rib, he got a black eye and bloody lip.

The two teenagers had gotten used to each other's company. Mostly on nights like these, when their fathers got angry and took it out on them, they'd find each other. The dirty blonde and brunette found comfort in one another.

As soon as Isaac joined Phoebe on the roof, the latter laid her head on his shoulder. Her breathing was shallow, something Isaac was able to hear pretty easily. He turned his head lightly, "why are you breathing like that?"

If it were a different situation, Phoebe might've laughed at his bluntness, but she didn't want to think about the pain that would follow. "My dad is a great golfer," she simply said. And then nothing followed.

For many minutes, they sat in silence. Isaac, breaking that silence, look up at the sky and asked, "will it ever get better?" Of course, Phoebe knew the question wasn't for her, but she still felt like she was accountable for Isaac's injuries. If she would only report his father and get him turned in, Isaac would be free.

That's what they both wanted; freedom. They hoped for better days in the future, where they didn't have to worry about trying to clean up the blood or cover the bruises that littered their bodies. One's where they wanted to actually wake up in the morning and not have to be afraid.

Isaac looked over when Phoebe stood up abruptly. She nodded her head towards her room and grabbed his hand. The two silently entered the gray bedroom, which had a bed pushed against the wall on one side and the other had a desk and dresser. Phoebe motioned for Isaac to take a seat on her bed whilst she walked to her bathroom.

When Phoebe walked back out, she had a wet washcloth in her hand. The teen, who sat on her bed, watched every step she took, this had become a routine they were too familiar with. Phoebe gently placed her hand underneath Isaac's chin and held the washcloth up to his face.

He flinched back ever so slightly when the cloth made contact and Phoebe quickly apologized. "I'll be quick with it, I'm sorry," she whispered. His blue eyes searched hers and he nodded slowly. So, Phoebe began to wipe the blood off of his face.

As she finished, Isaac let out a sigh. "Thank you," he spoke quietly. "I don't understand why you care so much." The girl frowned as he said that and shook her head.

"I always care, sometimes I even care a little too much." She took a seat on her bed beside Isaac. They sat in silence once again before she spoke up, "I hate to kick you out but it's getting late, and if my dad finds out I have a boy in my room.." She trailed off hoping he'd catch on.

And he did. Isaac nodded and quickly stood up from her bed and walked over to the open window. "You have to promise me something," He said spinning back around to face the blonde-haired girl. "You can't go to anyone about this, if my dad finds out someone said something it'll only get worse."

Phoebe stepped forwards and nodded, "I promise I won't tell anyone." He smiled gratefully at her and climbed out the window, jumping onto a small path they created. Phoebe leaned out the window and smiled, "Goodnight, Lahey."

"Goodnight, Whittemore," he said back, before running towards his house.

──── ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ ꜱᴘᴇᴀᴋꜱ ────

Hello, my loves!!! Long time no see, I know I am all over the place recently and I hope to make it up to you by publishing this story again with a new style. I love you all so much, thank you for getting me to where I am today.

Love, gray <3