𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 - 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐬𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐰𝐨

𝐀𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐥𝐨'𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫. Figuratively, not literally. The whole time, during their journey, all he could do was stare into the distance. It didn't help that Phoebe wasn't saying much, either. The two of them were in their own worlds.

It had been over two hours since they escaped, and they hadn't found a single road, person, or any sign of leaving the woods. They were completely lost.

Apollo felt the weight on him shift, forcing him to use more of his remaining strength to support the girl beside him. "No dying, remember?" He pointed out to the girl—he really didn't want her death to be on his hands.

"Can't...can't promise anything," Phoebe mumbled, the pain and exhaustion finally catching up to her. "M-Maybe we should, uh, we should sit down." She stumbled, catching her foot on a root of the tree beside them.

The boy beside her didn't have enough time to react to the situation, ending with her lying on her back in the middle of the woods. "Phoebe?"

"'M okay," she slurred, blinking tiredly.

Apollo didn't believe her as he squatted beside her. He lightly tapped the blonde's cheeks, eyes wide in panic, "not yet." They were so close to getting out. So close to being free. "We can rest for a minute, but we have to keep going."

Phoebe only nodded, keeping her eyes shut as she tried to focus on anything but dying again. Truth was, in her head, everything that Apollo just said was jumbled and muffled to the point where she couldn't understand a single word.

It was something that was bothering her, that kept her from giving into the darkness. The thought of abandoning all of her friends in this cruel town never gave them peace.

If she gave in to the weight that tugged at her, if she let go of that rope, she'd be giving up on her friends. She would never be able to try out her empath abilities, whatever they were. Angelina still needed to be taught full control, she still needed an older sister in her life. Jackson—though an asshole—was still her twin brother, her other half, and she needed to be there for him.

And Isaac.

Phoebe couldn't even think about the messy-haired brunette without her heart fluttering. She was afraid of losing him, of messing up their friendship, of ruining each other. But in the end, that's what love is. And Phoebe would do anything for someone she loved. She would make it back. For her friends that she made, the family she created, and for Isaac.

"Phoebe," Apollo's voice broke her out of her thoughts. "Phoebe, get up. Someone's coming, we've got to go!"

There was an urgent tone in his voice, but Phoebe couldn't seem to pick up on it as she slowly peeled her brown eyes open and stared at the sky above her. The trees around swayed into view, along with the boy she had met only days ago.