The Sorting Hat and a New House

The ride towards her new school was one of the most unique experiences that she's ever had, as she had never ridden aboard a boat before much more an enchanted one. In front of them looms Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, one of the tallest, most magnificent structure that Ziah has ever laid eyes upon. The school resembles more of a castle, surrounded by a moat, well, that is more like a lake and is so well lit that you'd think that electricity runs in the place.

Everyone instinctively ducked their heads when Hagrid suddenly yelled "HEADS DOWN." They passed through a curtain of Ivy and was soon into a tunnel.

The boats enter a small underground dock within the castle and they were ushered over upstairs by Hagrid. Nervous as she is, she stood close to Hermione and Neville (who finally found his toad), being bumped over by a taller kid who looked down on her, grimacing as he patted his robes as if she got dust on them. A blonde girl pulled Ziah closer to her and Hermione.

"That's Blaise Zabini. Don't get too close to him. He's... Not so friendly." She smiled and patted Ziah's hand. "Hannah Abbott. You?"

"Ziah McLoughlin. Thanks, he looked like he'd stomp on me if he could." They shook hands while giggling. They were halted when the castle door swung open, and they were soon presented to an older woman, donning a green cloak, almost in the shade of burnt emerald and a familiar witch's hat.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid as he gestures towards the young ones, expressions mixed with either worry or excitement or maybe both.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." The lady, or per se, Professor McGonagall open the doors wider, letting the students into the entrance hall. It was magnificent and huge and the ceiling looked like it goes on for ages. Torches lit up the sides and paintings that move fascinated her so much that almost got her to stop walking if it wasn't for Hermione pulling her along. They were ushered into a small chamber but the sounds from the doorway reminds Ziah that this is a gigantic boarding school which means there's hundreds of students in there and she's never been more frightened than ever.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, causing everyone to listen closely, everyone in total silence. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend free time in your house common room."

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin." At the mention of the last house a few coughs and smirks showed but Professor paid no heed upon this, continuing her speech.

"Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rulebreaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can
while you are waiting." She turned around, heading to another door which most likely goes towards the room where they'll be sorted.

She looked around, and Ziah has never felt so alarmed in her 11 years of life. THE WHOLE SCHOOL WILL WATCH THEIR SORTING. Her nerves has made her hand cold that Hermione even looked at her so quickly, her bushy brow hair whipped around.

"You've gone cold, are you oka-" Hermiome was asking when she got cut off by a sharp voice.

"It's true then. What they're saying at the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." A boy with slicked back platinum blond hair spoke with clarity, making other students whisper amongst them. He caught her eye for a brief moment, staring, before looking at a boy in front of her, the one with shaggy black hair, donning circular glasses.