Ch. 39 - Thoughtless Thistle (4)

"Lisette Redford, at your service!"

"I don't want to be here."

"Well, you don't have a choice. Since I have to suffer, you have to as well."

An eleven-year-old Arius frowns while sitting beside his father. Claude had a smirk, leaning on his palm while he was seated on his golden throne.

The Prince sat at a smaller version, slumping against it carelessly. Vivienne would have scolded him if she was there. But alas, in the presence of Claude, Arius could do anything.

That is unless it's inside the list Claude personally wrote for his son, meticulously explaining his boundaries—ahem.

The child groans, banging his head on the throne. "I'm bored~! Get me out of this place!" Arius yells, whining a bit.

Claude chuckles at his tantrums, used to such reactions. One of his hands ruffles Arius' golden locks, the boy swatting them in irritation.

"Don't blame me, blame the pest who so desperately wanted to meet you," Claude grumbles, his mood now sullen. He felt like cursing with how the Nobles forced him to bring Arius to meet an insignificant Duke.

Arius gave him a side glance, insulting Claude under his breath. "Isn't it your incompetence that you can't stand up against a bug?" The Prince retorts.

Right before Claude could retaliate, the golden doors of the Audience Room opened. Waltzing in were two figures, having blond hair a shade lighter than the twins'.

The man wore formal attire, the atmosphere around him reeking his intentions. The child, presumably his daughter, had a dress. The skirt reminded Arius of whipped cream, to be honest.

The air inside the room immediately felt suffocating, the perpetrator being Claude with an icy glare. His gaze was sharp enough that the Duke felt he was being sliced.

"Blessings and Glory to the Obelian Empire," the Dule of Redford, Calio, greets with a bow. His daughter curtsied, one so elegant and perfect.

Arius was impressed, his interest caught by the child. She raised her head, revealing her lavender-colored eyes. Despite their soft guise, there was no light.

What's more, those hues glared at him with no restraint, shocking the Prince. Arius felt rare shivers crawl over his skin, his heart thumping against his chest.

'Ah, she looks like Papa.'

As Claude reluctantly listened to Calio's blabbering, their two children had a stare-down. Since the child didn't cease her gaze, Arius did the same.

Rubellites clashed with amethysts, both having no intentions of backing down. 'Gah, what's with her?' Arius questions, a brow twitching.