Ch. 5 - Rubellites (5)

"Family..... What an unfamiliar word."

As he dwelled deeper inside the wooden house, Arius' shoes made tapping sounds while he hummed down the hallway

As he dwelled deeper inside the wooden house, Arius' shoes made tapping sounds while he hummed down the hallway. He passes by his room, the place occupying his single bed and bookshelves crammed with historical books.

He always had an obsession with the past, and he wonders why.

Arius halts right in front of a black door, the sign reading Vivienne's Room. It was his guardian's resting place, one he wasn't usually approved of to enter since her so-called diaries were inside.

That didn't stop him from skimming them, though. Every time Vivienne went on edge, he was permitted in entering the room. And thus, he took that as an opportunity to read them thoroughly.

When he concluded in reading all seven diaries—soon becoming eight—and comprehended the details, he was truly not surprised.

His eyes spoke it all. Every morning, Arius would spend a minute or so staring at them in the bathroom mirror—sometimes, he could see them flash blue.

But even if he did hold Obelian Royalty blood, he was satisfied with his life. A small fragile dream where Arius grew up to a person Vivienne could be proud of with modesty...

Sadly, the Prince in a Novel didn't get what he wished.

"Haaaah~."

Arius leaned back after he pushed himself onto the window frame, stabilizing himself with his hands. The wind blew through his golden hair, barely noticeable steps outside the room heard by the child possessing a blank gaze.

He was exhausted, not because it was nighttime. No, it was more like he was mentally drained.

Arius laments why...

"Hey, they're coming," a small little voice whispers.

'Ah, I remember.'

His brows became furrowed, internally scolding himself for neglecting that such a voice existed in his head. How could Arius forget such a bizarre thing?

'Coy was quiet until now.'

Arius had begun listening to it at the young age of three—an age where he was mostly sick due to his weak immunity. As a suffering child, the whispers of stories it told soothed his burning body whenever a fever struck him.

It kept him company while Vivienne was diligent in trying to find the medication.

He began calling it Coy, meaning Silent—which was ironic. Originally, its name was going to be Calliope.

It did sound girlish, but Arius inclined towards how it meant Beautiful Voice since the whispers had held him up for so long.

The voice didn't emerge for a month until Arius gave in. He eventually declared that he would change its name.