Ch. 46 - Justifications in Actions: their dusk (4)

"Precious. Everyone I hold in my heart is someone I cherish and treasure. I am thankful that they're alive, for they make me appreciate life even more."

"A-athy

"A-athy..."

Jennette's sniffles broke Athanasia out of her thoughts. The Princess is startled discerning the tears at the corners of Jennette's diamonds, anxiety enveloping her heart.

"J-jettie...! Why are you crying?" Athanasia questions, her hands reaching out to pat Jennette's shoulder. "Now, don't cry!" She tries to comfort.

Jennette hides her teary eyes into her hands, wiping away the tears staining her cheeks. Droplets form wet blotches on her skirt, chills going through her skin.

 Droplets form wet blotches on her skirt, chills going through her skin

"I-i'm just moved, Athy... I thought you would hate me for suddenly appearing out of nowhere."

Jennette wanted to scream all her words, but she could only whisper her explanations.

"And yet you told me your troubles. What's more, you made sure I was cared for in this Palace."

Athanasia listens in her seat, her jeweled blue eyes widening as Jennette continues. In all honesty, the Princess assumed that Jennette was going to be angry at her.

Athanasia was ready to face her sister's curses. What she least expected was for tears to appear, though the chance existed in her mind.

"I also wish to apologize for keeping this secret from you and Arius. Truly, I wanted to declare that about my status many times before," Jennette states, placing a hand over her heart to express her sincerity. "But you see, Uncle explicitly told me that I shouldn't," she mutters.

Her tears cease, her cheeks still having tear marks. Jennette feels bitter at the thought of the Duke, clenching her fists.

This was a clear indication of her negative sentiments towards the man. Athanasia notices the slight tremor of Jennette's fists, causing something to dawn on her.

"I, moreover, deceived you two. I act very impulsively at times, even going beyond my limits. Still, you accept my presence although knowing my identity..."