Faraway Inquiry (WangXian & WenZhou) Part 1 of 2

The Jingshi was calm as usual and the smell of sandalwood flew between the white drapes of the bed engulfing Wei Wuxian with another proof of happy ever after. He had woken up earlier than usual and waited for Lan Zhan to come back with breakfast. He wasn't really the type to wake up early, but he had heard some news from the night before, news that knotted some uneasiness in his heart and mind. He sat up in bed playing with his hands in his lap, thinking of ways to open the subject with Lan Wangji.

Lan Wangji opened the door with one hand, holding a tray of food with the other; he glanced sideways at Wei Wuxian to see him wide awake. "Wei Ying?" He placed the tray on the table and went to his side.

"Lan Zhan."

"Wei Ying, what's wrong?" He brushed the morning hair away from his sleepy face. "Do you feel ill?"

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian hesitated, "Have you heard about what happened in Jianghu?"

"Mn." He continued to stroke his hair, gazing at him with golden eyes like he was a piece of art.

"It's heavy on my mind." Wei Wuxian admitted, and Lan Zhan knew that these words would be followed by a request.

"Eat first." Lan Wangji held his hand and pulled him up leading him to the dining table where he placed the food.

This was one of the few days when Wei Wuxian had no appetite, but he couldn't waste the food that Lan Wangji had prepared for him. He ate few spoons of the porridge and continued to play with the rest in the bowl, still silent, uncharacteristically silent.

"You don't like it?" Lan Wangji reached out for the bowl to check if it tastes alright but Wei Wuxian snatched it away.

"No, Lan Zhan. It's great, thank you."

Lan Wangji stopped eating and neatly placed his chopsticks down over the bowl, "Wei Ying, what's wrong?"

"Lan Zhan," Wei Wuxian finally looked up at him, "You said you have heard, about Jianghu..."

"Mn."

"The Jianghu Ghost Valley Master's identity had been exposed..."

"Mn."

"I heard that he's very young and handsome." Wei Wuxian only meant it as a compliment, "But it's a shame that he died so young." He shook his head slowly, as if he remembered a bad memory, "I heard that the martial arts sects joined forces to kill him," Wei Wuxian avoided Lan Zhan's stare, "I also heard that his husband fought with him until the end."

"Husband?"

"Yeah... they're like us, Lan Zhan." Wei Wuxian smiled, "even their story is somehow like us."

"How?"

"His husband defended him when everyone was plotting against him." He spoke the words, waiting for a reaction from Lan Wangji, "and he also fell off-"

"Don't..." Lan Wangji cleared his throat, "Wei Ying, don't talk of that again."

Wei Wuxian paused for a while and noticed the melancholy in the air; he decided to change the subject and lighten up his tone, "Let's go to Jianghu!" He held Lan Zhan's hand with his own, grinning at him childishly, knowing very well that he wouldn't deny his request.

Lan Wangji looked at him with confusion, "Why?"

"I want to meet his husband." Wei Wuxian stood up playing with his ponytail ribbon, "I sympathize with them, and I want to help him. Even though you never talk about the past, when I was... But I know it was unpleasant for you. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what you went through." He looked out the window, "and I'm sure his husband is not as evil as everyone claims him to be."