xviii

Dora Skirth watches as the high security doors open and the man with greying hair appears, a familiar container in his hands as he enters the room. 

It's been weeks... months? Years, perhaps, since she's seen such a thing.

Time has no meaning in this cell.

Time is non-existent when you've been incarcerated by order of Colton Drake for betrayal.

She cowers back, sniffling as the man disrespects her personal space and steps even closer.

She may have kept her life, but it is meaningless when she has ceased to exist to her family, her husband, her children.

"My dear Dr. Skirth," the man coos.

And she feels disgusting when the man cups her cheek, his thumb rubbing her lower lip.

He continues, "How are you today?"

She tilts her head in faux compliance before turning and sinking her blunt teeth into his skin.

The man screams before backhanding her cheek.

It stings and it causes her eyes to water as she shrinks in on herself, hands reaching out to cup her burning cheek. The shackles on her wrists clinking with the motion.

"You stupid bitch," the man sneers.

"Monster," she growls.

The laugh that escapes the man is mocking, "Oh, you think I'm a monster?"

She nods.

"Well I have a surprise for you darling."

She tenses as the man finally brings back attention to the object in his hand.  He opens it and she pauses, eyes widening when she notices what it contained.  What she already knew was contained.

Slowly, like slime held in a child's hand, a sickly azure glob begins to escape.  Fear grips her heart when she realizes what it is.

"Symbiote," she breathes.

"Correct Dr. Skirth," the man grins, "meet your knew roommate-"

She shakes her head rapidly, eyes flickering to and fro in search of a place to hide. To get away.

"-Riot."

Riot?

She pauses, fear gripping her heart.

Memories of documents, of Drake's scrawl depicting all the symbiotes captured, spring forth.

She remembers Riot.

The leader of the Klyntar.

"Rot has been such a help and your data has done wonders to further our objective.  With a new test subject we can continue Life Foundation's project and try to better human quality of life.  Will you continue to cooperate?"

It's not a choice, she knows.

She has been kept alive for the simple fact that she once worked for Drake.

She is the only one that has access to what remains of Life Foundation and its secrets.  This man has used and abused her to gain that knowledge and now... now she fears the worst.

She's survived for however long she has been imprisoned.

She will not survive another symbiote.

"Good," the man cackles just as he walks out.

She rushes behind him, intent on making an escape.

But she's not fast enough.

The doors shut close with finality behind the man who does not look back.

Tears spill from her eyes and leave salty trails on her hollow cheeks.

She presses her back to the door and watches as the symbiote rouses.

As Riot slithers closer.

Something stirs within her.

It tightens around her chest and makes it hard to breathe.

Her scream is deafening as Riot strikes.