xv

"You're here," Dan mumbles drowsily.

He's not entirely sure what woke him, but once he sees the symbiote looming over him he wonders if he's finally lost it.

It's been over a month since he's seen the symbiote, has even felt an iota of their presence much less heard their voice.

But that voice is so real, so near.

"I'm here," Riot agrees.

And the touch of the symbiote soothing the wrinkle of discomfort on his brow is tangible.  Dan sits up with some difficulty, heaving his upper half and reclining against the headboard of his bed, finally capable enough of leaving the comfort of the living room days ago.  He looks a little pale and sweaty, shirt damp with perspiration and sweats sticky.  He looks like a mess, feels like one too.

The wrinkle of his nose is adorable, but it's clear his mind is still lagging with confusion.

"You did so well taking care of us," Riot praises adjusting just so, "So well my little human."

Dan flushes pink at the praise, "How-How are you?  You're... You're alive, I mean it's been weeks and you... and I... Riot."

There's a sniffle in there, a hurt that Riot wishes they could make better but understand they may never be capable to.

"I thought you died."

"I was willing to die and so much more for you, for our spawn."

"You're horrible, you know that right?"

Riot bites back the snarl of objection, instead they lower their face in shame and agree.  They were terrible to their mate in the worst ways possible.  No apology could ever remedy that.

Dan knows, he knows, he can feel the symbiote's emotions.  He can feel the distress and the anguish, everything Riot has ever tried to repress and hide from him.  It's too late now.  Dan will never let go.  And Riot... Riot would rather perish than hurt this human again.

A wince crosses over Dan's face that doesn't go unnoticed by the symbiote.  Riot uses warm hands to cup the swell of their child.

Weeks.

It's been weeks since Riot had seen Dan, seen the proof of their spawn growing inside the confines of their lover.

"You're in labor."

Dan  shoots up at that, eyes wide in panic, "I'm sorry, what?"

"You're in labor, your water broke minutes before I roused you."

Dan pulls back the blankets and sure enough it explains the mess between his thighs, "Baby is-"

"Perfect, healthy... ready."

"I'm only twenty weeks," Dan hisses.

"Twenty-one," Riot corrects, they know the exact moment Dan conceived.  As if Dan could ever hide such a fact from them, silly doctor.

"It's going to be ok, right? You won't... you won't leave right?"

"No, not again.  You'll never be alone."

The sky is that grey hue of winter as the break of dawn approaches and the first rays of sun peer through the horizon.

Dan heaves one last push that allows his firstborn freedom and a taste of the outside world.

He's healthy.

He's wrinkly and angry and beautiful.

And he's all theirs.

Their new beginning.

And with his first cry, Riot know what their child's name shall be.

Dan can't help but beam in pure happiness as the little thing wraps its tiny fingers around his index, his little pink mouth open agape in a small cry as his eyes remain swollen and face scrunched. The baby hybrid more human then symbiote.  But he's perfect.

Elysian.  The only word that feels right, this right here is their elysian.

The end.