vii

Dan is back in bed, eyes closed and breathing deeply, evenly.

Eddie watches over him with a frown on his face until Venom appears from his friend's chest.

"How is he?" Eddie asks.

"Better, tired," Venom growls, "rejecting me."

"Dan?"

"The baby symbiote."

Eddie bites his lip, "would it be better to separate?"

Venom looks back, looks at Dan with squinted eyes, "perhaps."

Carefully, slowly, they peel away from Dan. A small whine falls from the man's lip, his brow scrunching and lips pursing in discomfort. Eddie leans over and smooths over the little crinkle with concern. This is one if his closest friends suffering and he doesn't know what to do.

Venom slinks toward him and the symbiote sinks into Eddie's skin. It's like coming home once they're together, whole.

"Something is bothering you," Venom notes.

Eddie doesn't answer, not right away, but he nods and eventually tells them his fears.

"I'm still thinking about the person who authorized the surgery for Dan. Who the hell was it that wanted Dan to suffer?"

"Does not matter, Dan is safe. You saved him," Venom purrs.

Eddie sighs with a nod. Venom is right, it doesn't matter now. Not anymore.

However, he briefly wonders if it was Riot. He contemplates the thought for a mere second.

Would Riot authorize the death of their spawn?

No. He doesn't think so.

If anything, Riot would want Dan back. Right?

"Eddie?" A soft groan calls.

"Hey, Dan," Eddie smiles tightly, "how do you feel?"

"Exhausted, achy," Dan admits, "a bit nauseated."

"Do you need something?"

The doctor bites his lip before sighing a soft breath, "water, please."

"Alright, we'll be right back."

Eddie steps out the room with a deep breath. What are they going to do now?

"Protect," Venom offers.

"Eddie?"

"Hey Abe, what's wrong?" Eddie asks turning to the voice immediately.

Abel shakes his head, "she's hungry."

Eddie takes his little symbiote baby, already three months old and only getting bigger.

Needier, like her progenitor.

I take offense to that, Venom sniffs in indignation.

Eddie can't help but crack a smile. A poor attempt to lighten his mood, but he ignores them and focuses on the boy in front of him, "thank you Abel. How is Zeal?"

"Sleeping, finally," Abel answers, "how's Dr. Lewis doing?"

Eddie chews his bottom lip, "Honestly? I don't know."

The room becomes sullen again as they think of their friend on the other side of the door.

"Do you need me to help with anything?" Abel asks.

Eddie shakes his head, "you watching Sleeper, Mason, and Curiosity is enough. I'm sorry to overwhelm you when you have baby Zeal to take care of."

"I'm happy to help," Abel admits, "though it's a little overwhelming, Carnage has been with me through every step."

Eddie hides his amusement. He doesn't see much of the red symbiote, but he's glad the alien has been amicable and well behaved. He supposes loving Abel has done that to him.

Docile is what he has become, Venom snickers.

Eddie rolls his eyes, you're not any better, parasite.

Venom growls, but Eddie is focused on their daughter as she nibbles on her hand.

Eddie shrugs off his shirt and sighs contently when she latches on completely human, no sharp teeth and biting.

"You can go, Abel, thank you."

"Let me know if you need anything," Abel nods as he scurries away.

Eddie watches him go before heading to the kitchen where he manages to get a glass of water single handedly.

It's the scream that frightens him, that makes the glass fall and shatter in his haste to get to Dan.

"Dan? Dan!"

Venom is on high alert immediately. Somehow they reach their room and Eddie has something twist in the pit of his stomach when he finds Dan curling in on himself.

The doctor is sprawled half on the bed and nearly falling to the floor as he clutches his belly with clenched eyes.

"Dan?" Eddie rasps.

"Hurts, Eddie, please make it stop, please, please, please. Oh God."

Eddie doesn't think he can watch as blood begins to seep from Dan's sweats.

"Not again," Eddie whispers brokenly, "not him."

Venom growls in frustration as they shove Eddie out of the room.

Venom slithers to Dan and they look at the agonizing man with sharp eyes.

"You're losing the spawn," they state.

Through a moment of clarity of his pain induced delirium, Dan seems to understand.

The tears he's fought to hold back spill as he shakes his head, trembling hands cupping his belly tenderly, "please no."

Venom seems frustrated, words failing them.

There's nothing that can be done. They feel like a failure. They failed Eddie and now they're failing Dan.

"Venom, please, please save my baby!"

Venom growls lowly. They're not sure if they can. The only one who can save the baby, can save Dan, is Riot.