viii

Eddie feels like he's on the border of hyperventilating, memories he'd rather forget rear their ugly head in his mind.  The gentle coo and gnawing of Curiosity grounds him.  He looks at the baby in his arms and feels a warmth of gratitude for what he has, despite what he's lost.

His eyes sting, but one deep breath followed by another calms his racing heart.

The sudden knock on the door makes him look up and he furrows his brow in confusion.  He doesn't know of anyone who would be coming unannounced.  With some regret he pries a disgruntled Curiosity from his chest and brings her up to burp her.

He fixes his shirt as best he can and opens the door.

A man he's never met stands before him.

"Can I help you?" Eddie asks, voice a little raspy.

The man tilts his head as if intrigued by the sight and Eddie is becoming self-conscious of his swollen eyes, red nose, and bitten lips.  And then a gentle burp directs his gaze to Curiosity and those eyes peer at his baby with surprise and interest.

The man reaches out as if to touch her and Eddie backtracks, intent on closing the door only to have something slam against him.

It wraps around him, sniffing and searching like a hellhound.

"Where is he?"

Eddie shivers, "Riot."

"Where is that idiot doctor?!"

A familiar cry of pain makes Riot's head snap up and they slither toward it.  A sharp cry rings in Eddie's ear and he doesn't know if he should follow and stop Riot or... or not.

They're the only one who can save Dan and his baby.

Biting his lip Eddie tries to calm Curiosity as she sniffles pitifully against his chest.

Riot ignores the wail.  Though they're curious.  A fucking symbiote hybrid, who would've thought.

So this, this is what Dan was protecting so much.

That child.

And it angers them just a bit more.

They slip into the room and they pause, eyes widening in shock.

Dan is curled up into himself, red slowly staining his thighs and tears soaking into the sheets as he sobs.

Venom is cooing softly at the doctor, looking helpless.

Riot can't move.

Not until Venom's eyes land on them.

"Riot."

Riot snarls at their progenitor, anger and betrayal flaring in their chest.

Venom's reverberating roar shuts them up, "Stop acting like a child and help your mate.  He's losing your child and if you don't help, you'll lose him too."

That shakes Riot to the core.

Child?

Their child?

That means...

"Stupid human," Riot hisses just before sinking into Dan's skin.

The damage is extensive, the baby symbiote growing weaker and weaker and Riot isn't so sure they're capable of saving it.

"Please," Dan begs brokenly, "please."

But that's enough to make Riot try.

There are still questions unasked and unanswered, but they have time.

Eventually the pain becomes numb.

The bleeding stops.

And the tears dry as Dan passes out from exhaustion.

Even Riot has no desire to rouse the doctor and start chaos.

Though they still glare at Venom in barely concealed anger.

"He is not my mate," is the first thing they say.

"Hmm," Venom hums non-committally.  They know that denial well and personally.

"The child is still yours, so take responsibility."

Riot growls in irritation, but before Venom can respond a gentle knock sounds at the door.

"Come in Eddie."

The man steps through and stares at the scene.

"Dan?"

Riot hisses overprotectively.

"Sleeping, better."

Eddie smiles relieved, "Thank you Riot, for saving them."

Riot stares at the man, something filling them with pride at Eddie's recognition.  Fuck them.

They're not supposed to feel like this.

"That thing in your arms," Riot redirects.

Eddie holds Curiosity tighter, "fuck off parasite, this is my daughter, she's not a thing."

Venom can't help but feel proud as they bond with their mate.  Eddie holds back a little pleased smile and forces himself to look at Riot sternly, just as he did with Carnage all those months ago,  "Don't fuck this up.  If we have to, we will separate you and figure out a way to keep both Dan and the baby alive.  We are not afraid of you. We burned you once, we'll do it again. Got it?"

Riot doesn't respond, though they watch the little family leave.

Once alone with their mat- Dan, they finally get the chance to just breathe.

The baby's heartbeat slowly growing stronger and steadier.

Their baby, they remind themself.

Dan is carrying their baby.