Episode 5

(I am going to skip Walker killing the Flagsmasher with the shield because honestly, I don't want to have to write that)

Bucky and Sam silently walk, following Walker from a far distance into the abandoned building half a mile away from the square. Sam glances at Bucky, who is a few feet ahead of him.

'He looks absolutely exhausted,' Sam thinks to himself, now realizing just how long it has been since Bucky has slept. It has been at least 4 nights now, and that is just what Sam knows of. I mean, he hasn't gotten much sleep either, but at least he has gotten some here and there every night. Even last night, when they were flying, and Zemo went to bed, Sam tried to get him to go to bed; Bucky said they could do it in shifts than just never woke him up until landing.

Sam honestly doesn't know how the man hasn't toppled over yet. I mean, of course, he is a super soldier but still. He hopes that this ends quickly so they can both get some much-needed sleep. 

They walk in to see Walker crouching in the middle of the building. As they approach, Sam hears Walker mumble something to himself. 

He stands up, walking over to them, "You guys should see a medic; you don't look so good," Walker says.

"Walker..." Sam says lowly.

Walker starts to pass them, "Stop, Walker."

"What?" Walker says, looking up at him then at Bucky, "You saw what happened. You know what I had to do."

"I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!" he shouts.

(Umm... No, he didn't. Karli did dude (which you know)... so what you did wasn't revenge; it wasn't justice; it was just plain murder. You killed someone because you were angry)

Sam walks up a bit closer, looking over at Bucky, "he didn't kill Lemar, John," Bucky says gently.

Walker scoffs, shaking his head.

"Don't go down that road. Believe me; it doesn't end well," Bucky warns.

Walker turns, "I'm not like you!" he shouts.

(You're right. Bucky didn't have a choice... You did)

"Listen, it was the heat of the battle. Okay?" Sam interjects, trying to calm down the situation. "If you explain what happened, they may consider your record," he reasons.

"We don't want anyone else to get hurt."

Sam glances at Bucky, their eyes meeting, "John..."

"You gotta give me the shield, man," Sam pleads.

Walker's head raises slowly, "Oh, so that's what this is. You almost got me," he says menacingly.

(Walker, buddy, it isn't personal. The shield literally belongs to Sam. He is asking for his property back which you just used to kill someone with. I think that is more than fair.)

"You made a mistake," Sam says in a last attempt to calm him.

Walker huffs, laughing, "You don't want to do this," he threatens.

Bucky's face turns hard, "Oh, yes we do," he retorts, rage encompassing his face as he strides forward, swinging at Walker.

-Lots of fighting and Walker clinging to the shield and acting like it is his only personality trait-

They all three lay on the floor, huffing, exhausted, the shield in the middle of them. Bucky is the first to sit up; crawling to it; he grabs the bloody shield off the floor.  He heaves himself off the floor, spitting the blood collecting in his mouth on the cement floor near Walker's feet. He stands next to Sam, staring into his eyes for a moment, a mixture of emotions swirling through his eyes before he drops the shield next to Sam. 

Turning, he walks out of the room. 

Sam lays there, his eyes following Bucky until he is out of view. He sighs, sitting up, grabbing the shield, attempting to wipe the blood off of it. 

This hunk of metal. A symbol of his best friend's legacy. A symbol passed down to him to keep safe and to uphold. A symbol he was wiping the blood of an innocent man off of. 

He looks up at the ceiling closing his eyes, trying to refrain from letting out the tears that threaten to spill from his eyes. He sniffles, hauling himself from the floor, picking up his two wings placing them under his arm. Not glancing in Walker's direction, who is still lying on the floor, he turns, following where Bucky went. 

He walks out of the building, his eyes scan around turning stopping on Bucky, eyes closed, leaning against the wall. 

Sam cautiously walks up to Bucky, who looks about, ready to collapse, knowing he is probably livid with him right now. He stands silently next to Bucky, looking out at the city in front of them,  tears welling up in his eyes at the feeling of the blood between his fingers wrapped around the shield. He gulps, closing his eyes, trying to keep composure.

Bucky opens his eyes, looking over at Sam. His gaze drops to the shield with the blood mostly wiped off taking a deep breath. Setting his eyes back upon Sam his eyes drop squint slightly noticing the bleeding cut on his lip.

He stands off the wall, reaching out brushing his thumb across the bottom of Sam's lip.

Sam's eyes open, turning his head Bucky's hand retracting slightly at the movement, hovering over his lip. Their eyes meet the air suddenly gone from his lungs. He hesitates before running his thumb over the cut twice more, his gaze focusing on the blood before he removes his hand.

Sam stares at him, trying to read him.

Bucky rubs his fingers together with the blood between them as he looks down. Just as Sam starts to raise his hand, Bucky turns away, walking towards the city.

Sam sighs, following behind him.

They wade through the police and shouting pedestrians and citizens being escorted into police cars. They eventually get to an empty room away from the chaos.

"Falcon? Sir?" an officer asks, following them into the room.

Sam turns, setting down the shield and wings, "yes?"

"Could I talk to you?" he asks Sam glancing at Bucky, who is leaning against a table, a blank expression on his face as he stares at the floor. 

Sam nods, following the man into a separate room.

---

"The GRC is conducting raids to try and find Karli," Sam says, walking back into the room, "but so far they've only found her followers. They've searched this camp, and just like the last camp, nothing," he explains walking up to the opposite table facing Bucky.

"She's gone. We'll never find her," he states, annoyance and some anger laced with his words.

Bucky opens his mouth to say something, his eyes snapping away at the sound of footsteps. 

"Hey! You got your sleeve back," Torres jokes, walking up to the two of them.

Bucky scoffs, rolling his eyes as Torres walks in, his face turning sour immediately. He shoots him a glare, standing up and walking towards the door. 

"You off to go take care of Zemo?" Sam asks, shouting after him. 

Bucky stops in his tracks, turning to face Sam staring at him, then eyes flitting to Torres then back at Sam. He stares at Sam a few seconds more before leaving.

This was also not a fun chapter to write. Not gonna lie; some tears may have been shed while having to watch the scene over twice and having to analyze Sam's expression as he wipes the blood off the shield. Also, Bucky is totally jealous of Torres, and you can't change my mind. He has no reason to hate the man; in fact, he should like him, but here he is, sending the man glares harder than those he sent Walker. I hope you enjoyed the first part of this multiple-part series. I am so excited to be able to write all my ideas finally! - Xoxo