Chapter 15

{AN : use the picture to visualize better!}

Viri and Sam settled down on the second floor of Emerald's café. It separated them from the cafe crowd enough and Viri ensured that the usual book lovers kept to the first floor. Viri had brought the books with her. They were all splayed out on the table kept near the stairs. They'd gone down for lunch. Weekends gave them extra time they needed. 

"The sun's setting. What do we know?" Viri asked.

"Well, as discussed we know how the Belltower works. If everything we've read is right then there's hope for a hideout."

"Protection enough for now. We can take turns and guard the Belltower until then."

Emerald was climbing up the stairs. Viri knew. She continued.

"Nope. That would be too suspicious. We don't know why but General black didn't want me near the belltower. And its a waste of our potential. Is there someplace else we can hide the younglings?"

"A hideout in Athoms? We'd have to be able to move the kids too - it's bound to get some attention."

"Can I....May I...take your glasses?" Emerald's voice cut through the tension in the air.

Sam jerked his head her way. She'd heard the bit about younglings needing protection. Viri knew and was thereby relaxed.

"Emerald, thankyou. Is it time to close the store?" Viri asked.

"No. Not yet. You may take as long as you need." Emerald said collecting the glasses from the table. She turned towards the stairs. Viri stared at Emerald's back as the café owner slowly pushed the fear out of her mind.

"Viridian? I'm sorry I heard you two talking on my way up, I didn't mean to eavesdrop and perhaps I'm crossing a line but..." Emerald met Viri's eyes, felt a chill go down her spine but the blue of her brother's eyes willed her to continue.

"You mentioned the younglings needed a hideout?"

Viri exchanged a glance with Sam. He didn't seem to be yelling curse words at her direction.

"It's alright Emerald. What you heard is true. Unfortunately I can't reveal much unless I'm certain but we are seeking a hideout for the younglings. A safe place in case of danger."

Sam was very confused about all of this. Emerald had her issues with him but he'd never seen anybody approach Viri unless ordered to. He was mildly surprised at his sister's courage.

"A safe place. Hmm...have you considered the borders?" Emerald was a brown. She'd been in wars. She wasn't as good a fighter as Sam or Viri but she was born in Athoms. She knew the city.

Viri hadn't considered the borders. She wanted a safe place that was protected, the borders were not always protected. But a possibility was always welcome.

"There are ruins of the old empires on the borders. Like the old shrines. Nobody's visited them in ages, very few know about them."  Sam said as his childhood memories gradually came into focus.

Viri felt hope. "The place is crawling with serpents. All kinds. That's why nobody's visited them. I've never been sent for rounds there. How do we know if it's safe?"

"The browns are sent there for rounds. Nobody ever goes too close. It's nature we leave undisturbed. Even the earth dragons urge it that way. And those guys like to go everywhere!"

All three groaned at the mention of the earth dragons. The giant dragons were persistent about the well-being of animals. All kinds. Some even cuddled pigs. All of them had pets. Several of them. Viri liked their dogs the best.

"Alright. Sam, we'll go look into the ruins. Find out if it's safe. The closer it is to the Belltower, the better."

Sam nodded. "I can get us in through Sedra. Nobody would know. The old shrines connect the Belltower with the ruins. I've seen it from a distance. I'd say we head out tonight. We would need weapons, I can get them. You didn't sleep much last night, do you have enough coffee in you?"

Viri smiled at Sam. "We need a change of clothes too Sam. Let's meet outside the academy, wait for my signal and then head straight to Sedra. Emerald, may I bother you for a small flask of coffee?"

"And some food. Bread and cheese would do" Sam added.

Emerald nodded quickly, "Ofcourse, I'll get started on it.  If you're headed to the old shrines, perhaps night isn't a good time?"

Viri was confused. Sam seemed to think about that. "What's wrong with the shrines at night?"

The siblings exchanged a glance. Sam spoke up, "Viri there are legends of the lands. They were told to us as tales when we were young. The empire, how it came down, how the dragon people once were, the new order, all of it. The young keep away because of the tales of serpents but the elders, they stay away for the old gods."

"The old gods? What's wrong with gods?"

Sam continued. "The shrine was built for the old gods. Long story short, we believe that the gods turn evil at night."

Viri looked at both Emerald and Sam. She had known some people of Athoms believed in old gods, she'd never taken any interest in finding out more. Faith seemed personal. But now, it seemed they had to face the gods.

"Well. I understand if either of you don't want to come. Emerald, you're welcome to come with us, if you want. We simply can't risk going in during the day." Viri looked at the siblings. Except the white hair, they were remarkably different.

"I can come. I'm not scared if you're coming Viridian. I've never seen you lose a fight. I don't think I'll be much help but I can carry the food and coffee." Emerald said.

"Great we'll meet you at Sedra" Sam said quickly and guided Viri outside. They didn't speak but Sam changed, picked Viri up and started towards the academy.

"Sam? Is it okay that Emerald's coming?" Sam looked down at Viri tucked between his front limbs.

"I thought about it a lot. We need somebody outside the academy. Somebody to.."

Sam cut in.

"Viri, its sweet that you care. I mean it. But I'm not going to question your decision. Okay? If I disagree, I will let you know. Okay?"

"Okay. I just don't want you to be uncomfortable." Viri had noticed the two siblings keeping a distance.

"We're going to ruins were all kinds of serpents come out and you're worried about me being uncomfortable?" They both laughed.

"You know no serpents gonna touch you. I know you're not afraid. It's Emerald who's scared, brave kid."

"I see my mind reading dragon is back at it. I'm just excited to watch serpents shiver over you." Viri could feel Sam imagine the scene in his head.

They got to the academy. Nobody had slept yet. Sam took a bag - he packed practical pants, the dependable colors - black and deep green. He packed his weapons too - all kinds but only carried a sword on him. He had to travel light. Then he waited. He wondered if Viri had changed. I wondered how many of her signature weapons she'd carry. They all looked magnificent.

Am I going to die today? Gods, it would be such an honor to die next to Viri. I hope I can help the younglings though. Should I put on some deodorant? Don't think about Emerald. Let me take a scarf, incase we get cold. How exactly did Viri plan to send a signal?

And then, just in time, Sam felt the air around him change. He felt that drop of temperature. He was so warm a second ago, the chill in the air felt like a kiss on his cheek. Viri had signalled, it was now time to face the old gods.