Chapter 23

"That kids gonna keep practicing you know." Sam started conversation as soon as they started walking out of the Belltower. It was evening and most folks were in the city.

"I know. Sky is dependable. I can't help it if he's scared."

"He's intimidated. There's a difference. And in a good way, you don't really ask much of the younglings, the pressure is real."

"He's a wind dragon. A full dragon. There's no need to be intimidated."

"Of you? Sure. I'll pretend that you aren't a walking threat. Also, where are we going?"

"To find the best dragon in Athoms."

"You're joking."

"No, I'm not."

Viri smiled as Sam shook his head in disappointment. They'd gotten suspended, they'd set up a cover, they'd sent word to Emerald about their suspension. Now, the hunt began. Viri knew there was some connection between the panther and the Aeck. Nobody hunted enquired about animals in Athoms. Atleast not willingly. Because nobody ever went to earth dragons. Atleast not willingly. Until now.

Viri stopped midway. They had started walking into the forest from a random point near Belltower. The forests took up a large portion of Athoms. Viri and Sam were standing in-between a small clearing in the forest, the tall trees stretched to the skies and Sedra was flowing a few feet away. Sam saw nothing Infront of them. Earth dragons were hard to spot, they tend to camouflage to their surroundings, not moving for hours.

"Am I staring at her? Or is she above me?" Sam asked Viri. Because she clearly knew more than him.

"She's behind you. Clary, good evening. May we speak to you?"

Sam turned to find Clary. The long earth dragon had wrapped her brown dragon body along the tree so well that nobody could tell she wasn't a part of it. Her head turned calmly but a look into her eyes and Sam knew she was shocked and positively terrified.

"Viridian. Water dragon. You've come to see me?"

Sam was already irritated. "Clearly. Yes. Clary, please get off the tree."

Clary landed on the ground easily. Her tail was moving slowly as she took in the view and realised that someone had chosen to come to an earth dragon. Usually, this is when she'd start talking about how other dragons are nothing but a pain in the ass and that she'd never bother to converse with one. But viridian was different. Even earth dragons knew that.

"Viridian. You've befriended the water dragon. How unlikely."

"Excuse me?" Sam was going to show this earth dragon just how much water he could summon before Viri spoke.

"I'm sure you've met Sam, he's a good friend. How are you, Clary?"

Sam was trying to hold down his blush and smile at Viri's 'good friend' comment when he noticed Clary have a similar reaction.

"I... I'm doing okay Viridian. Thankyou. You wanted to speak to me? About what?"

"Your tree looks better now. I needed your help with an animal. One I'm trying to find."

Earth dragons took care of the forests. They were the reasons the forests thrived. If an earth dragon was not okay, you'd see it on whatever they were tending to. Not many dragons cared to know this. Therefore, Clary was easily convinced to help Viri.

"Ofcourse. I know all the animals in our forests. We keep track. Which one? And if you don't mind me asking...why?"

"A panther. We ran into one the other day, there's something about it I can't quite understand. Just curiousity."

Clary seemed convinced. "A panther. Yes, I've seen one lurk the forests, oddly we've not been able to tend to it. But you know how cats are."

Sam and Viri exchanged glances.

Sam broke in, "could you...tell us where it is? Right now?"

"I know you're a water dragon Sam but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that panthers are nocturnal. Ofcourse I can tell you where it is but it needs to be awake for me to sense it."

There it was. The earth dragon arrogance. Clary was a full dragon, which just meant that Sam and her could spend hours fighting. He looked at Viri.

"It's just a few more hours. You want to wait?"

Viri nodded. Clary was mortified. But she seemed really relaxed. She didn't change, dragons seemed to do that when they felt threatened. Sam didn't blame her. So they waited. In awkward silence for the panther to wake up. Sam and Viri got some sleep in. And then, right around midnight, Clary felt the soft paws of a big black panther move close to Sedra.

Viri and Sam got up in a second. They watched Clary do a strange tree communication thing. Or was it forest communication? It was similar to what Sedra and Sam did. It was elemental. And then Clary opened her eyes and pointed.

"There. Away, approaching Sedra. Probably thirsty. Do you want me to take you?"

Sam and Viri had already started to run in the direction. Sam yelled, "No but you're awesome! Thanksssssss"

Clary flushed. The water dragon and Viri intrigued by a panther was something she never thought they'd all share in common.

"Fly or swim?" Viri asked.

"Swim. Always swim." And then Sam took them to the panther along Sedra.